Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Econlockhatchee River

Kayaked the Econlockhatchee River today, Sunday, December 4, 2011. First time since August 14.  I was expecting bald eagles and large alligators.  Singular on eagle,  we only saw one, soaring.  We being my friend from work, Stephanie, and I.  We did a shuttle, leaving the kayaks at the 419 bridge, driving both cars to the Snow Hill Road bridge takeout, leaving my car, back to 419, launching at 10:20 to begin our 8 mile down river paddle
A little runoff water fall.




The Econ is different from most of the places I paddle.  High, sandy banks, lined with sabal palms and moss covered oaks. An otter scampered up the bank, to fast for me to get a photo.



 And, the occasional cypress tree




.This is the second photo of the two in the opening photo.  The other gator slid off the bank.  See the faded white rings on the tail?  That usually means the gator is less then two years old.  These will be big when they grow up.

 We saw the bald eagle, high overhead.  I thought it might be one of a nesting pair.  May have been, but the nest was empty.


I commented to Stephanie on how clean the Econ was.  We weren't seeing any trash. Thanks to these guys.
Paul and Paul were loading their canoe with trash.  Doing a heck of a job.  Again, thank you!
 To slow to get a diving turtle.


This is a very big gator. It is said you take the inches from eyes to nostrils, and convert to feet to estimate the size.  I'd say it was a foot long gap, easy.



Took a lunch break at the Flagler Trail bridge.




 The Pauls' haul.  It got bigger, they stopped to clean out mud from their canoe and kayak.  Brought a lot in grabbing junk from shore, tangled log jams, and other spots.  A dedicated team. 


Taking the above picture, I said "goal posts"  Blue heron inside the uprights, foreshadowing Mason Crosby's kick to move the Packers to 12-0.


 I did my small part to clean up the Econlockhatchee.  And, after each bottle or can I fished out of the River, shortly thereafter I got a photo of an alligator. 

Landed at 4:10.  Paul Jr. and Sr. landed soon after.  I admire their dedication to cleaning up the River. I pitched in a little, carrying one of the large bins filled with cans from shore to their car.

For those of you who closely follow these Tales, there won't be a mid-week Tale this week.  I was told I did not have to work any late shifts in December.  So the only day I picked to work late was December 27.  So, I won't be in the kayak again until Saturday. And Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.  The annual Sanibel Island family trip.

A couple of Stephanie's photos.


2 comments:

Luis said...

Have a good one Dave and thanks to Paul and Paul.

Suwannee Refugee said...

Really like the Econ. It looks like what I picture old Florida looking like.