Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, December 12, 2011

Sanibel Day 1

Sunday, December 12, 2011.  Cousins, Olivia and Phineas.  I know you expecting wildlife photos, but, these are my Tales, and nothing is more indigenous to Florida than a couple of second generation Conchs.
The day began a the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refugee.  White pelicans on the drive to the kayak launch site.
I saw a lone rosette spoonbill. Until I arrived at the launch site.  There they were.



It's now Tuesday night. Time to continue Sunday's Tale. As it was 2 days ago, I may be vauge on the details. That's what photos are for.




The tide was out as I set out at 7:55.   That was why the spoonbills were feeding in the exposed flats. I paddled a short distance to an open, lake-like area.




More birds taking advantage of low tide. Ibis, blue herons, snowy egrets and great egrets.



This shallow area was at a gap in the "lake" that opens into San Carlos Bay.
Which was windy and choppy, so I turned around.

 White pelican in flight.
Dancing egret.
Back to the launch area.  Water level had come up a tad, and I found a deeper spot for a better view of the spoonies.




I paddled along the channel alongside Wildlife Drive.


Good fishing.



There were a lot of yellow crowned night herons.







The tide was still out as I paddled past the observation tower.



Not only was the tide out, but, this time of year, the water level is kept low so migrants can feed.







Past the observation tower, the trail gets narrow again.  To shallow to paddle. At higher water levels, one can't get to far before the mangroves get too dense.



Looking at the above photo makes me think I left the narrow area near Wildlife Drive into another open area.

I like this hovering osprey.
What I would really like to get is the photo when it grabs a fish out of the water.


Landed at 10 past  11.  Left the Refuge, came back in, to bike the Indigo Trail.

The trail goes from the entrance station to just before the Observation Tower.




I got to the end of the trail, left my bike, and walked to the Observation Tower.  I walked, because Wildlife Drive is one way for all vehicles.


My observations.
Back to ground level.
 The tri colored heron was one of two spotted across from a covered shelter on the Cross Dike Trail, linking the Indigo Trail to Wildlife Drive. 3 pie billed grebes also.  That photo is too fuzzy to post. When I first looked into the mangroves, I saw nothing.  I waited, and then saw the birds.  A couple stopped, and did the same thing.  "Nothing's here"   I told them about the 5 birds.   They soon spotted them, and thanked me.
Back on the bike, I took the Trail back to the starting point.






 If the alligators moved, I did not notice.
 A short boardwalk goes from the entrance station to the parking lot at the Visitor Center. Walk your bike.
The out and back ride/walk was just over 4 miles. I left Ding Darling at 1:10.  The view from the condo balcony, at 1:45.

This is 16D.   One of two timeshares my brother and family have for week 50.  I shared it the first night with Eileen's sister, Loretta, son, Trevor, and boyfriend, Tony.  Pat, Eileen, and their children were in 12D, the other time share.  Pat, Eileen and the Bennett's own a unit at Shell Island Beach Club, 5D.  Evan, Camila, and Phineas were in it, having arrived on the ferry from Key West, Saturday night.  The Shell Island Beach Club is like Michigan.  Broken in two parts.  Buildings 14,15, and 16 are split from the other 13 buildings by another property.   That just gives an opportunity to stroll on the beach from one section to the other.


For some reason, I took no pictures from the time walking to the other pool area to the time I walked back. Must have been too relaxed, sitting poolside, or in the hot tub, beer in hand. Said goodbye to Loretta, Trevor and Tony, who were only in for a night. Went back to 16D, not sure why, maybe to change out of my swimsuit.  

I was just about to leave, when the phone rang.  My sister, Monica.  Asking where I was.  I waited until she, Elena, Aaron and Olivia arrived.  Help carry some of their stuff.  Mentioned they didn't have to pack so much, their is a washer and dryer.  Then headed to Chris and Chad's unit for the Packer game.

 Olivia, my great niece.  Overwhelmed a bit by the crowd, not ready to show her beautiful smile.
 Great nephew, Phineas, his Dad, Evan, beard, Jeff B., nephew, Derek, dreads.

My niece, Olivia's Mom, Evan's sister, Elena.
 Olivia is talking in one word bursts.  Pointed to the game a couple times, and said "Guys!"
 Into more girlish pursuits, Omi's necklace.
 There's the smile.  For Aunt Camila, Phineas's Mom.

A fine late afternoon and evening,  The Packers romped, the food was delicious, and I'm biased, but the little ones are the cutest ever.  Two videos of the scene.





As mentioned early in the Tale, I may be a bit vague on what I did Sunday.  It's now Thursday, and no more photos to jar my memory.   I know large groups went for beach walks every night, I suppose I was there Sunday.  Can't recall if it was Sunday or Monday that the moon was so bright we were casting shadows on the white sand.  Not a bad way to end the day.

No comments: