Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sanibel. Day 4

Sanibel sunrise, Wednesday morning.
Wednesday night 11:41.  Back home. Darn. But, got the kayak fleet on the water.
And ended with  a wonderful meal. Orchestrated by Karen B.
The last photo of this year's Sanibel family and friends trip. 
It is now Saturday night, and I'm ready to continue Wednesday's Tale.  No problem getting up early, has I had gone to bed at 9:15.   I did find out it is not just the Cannon men who snore.
 It was already light out as I strolled to the Lighthouse.  6:59 is the time stamp  on the above photo.

 Hooded mergansers
Osprey.  Had I missed sunrise?
 Nope.




 Snowy egrets








In my travels, whenever I see a property next to public land,  I think "must be nice to have that location"
After being in such a location for four nights, it is nice.



I walked past buildings 14,15 and 16, the property next door, and the main Shell Island Beach Club property.  I had not walked past this point yet on my mini vacation, always going towards the Lighthouse.





The tide was out.



A good walk. Over a mile.  There are mile markers on the beach. 0 is before the fishing pier.  I went past the mile 1/2 marker.

 After an hour walk, I plopped my butt at the pool to rest before the final walk up the stairs to the condo.
View from the kitchen table.
Monica, Aaron, and I went to 12D to get Tyler and Jack to go kayaking.  We were going to launch at the Tarpon Bay Explorers concession.  I had yaks for Tyler and Jack, Monica and Aaron would rent.  But, when we got there, it was low tide.  The Commodore Creek Trail would have been more of a hike than paddle.  Tarpon  Bay was a bit choppy.  I'd do it, but not with an inexperienced 9 year old.  So, Tyler, Jack and I headed to Ding Darling to paddle its protected waters.   I felt the Wisconsin guys needed to get on the water more than the Key Westers.



The views on the drive to the launch site.

Through the mangroves.
Took a peak at Pine Island Sound.
Jack leads me, into the wind.

 Ibis and spoonbills
 Jack
Tyler paddling through the water coming through one of the openings in the dike/Drive.
Jack said he was tired, so we turned back.  Paddling with the tide rejuvenated him, as he beat his brother and uncle to the launch.  To fast, as he missed the two bald eagles that flew over, his view blocked by the mangroves.  Tyler and I were out far enough to see them. Like all the eagles I saw this trip, they were youngsters, no white head.
We paddled about an hour.  Took about a half hour to load the kayaks.  I'm a good uncle.

 Got to see an alligator on the drive out of the Refuge.

Back to the main condo.  Arrived as Derek was grilling shrimp.  Had a couple, then biked to the East End Deli for a Cuban and black beans and rice.  Brought it back to enjoy poolside.



Aaron made good use of the time he did not spend kayaking.  Fly fishing from shore on the bay side, he caught the biggest snook he had ever caught on a fly.  He's a guide, so that's saying something. http://fishingguidekeywest.com/

Me, I had thoughts of putting the yak in the water one last time, or going on a bike ride, but wound up pretty much just lazing poolside.  I finally went on a short ride.  Had to justify bringing the road bike, which I road on the bike trail.



A final beach walk before packing the car.



I was going to leave right after sunset.  But, the Bennett's were hosting dinner, and Jeff was bringing his famous ribs and salad.  I delayed my departure.

I think I reported on a prior Tale that Olivia can say "Dave".   Hopefully we'll spend more time together, Christmas in Key West.

 Don't tell the fire marshall about the size of the gathering.

We, that's Derek and I, left about 7.  Got him to his bus at 10:45 for a midnight departure from Orlando to Atlanta.   And so ends the annual Sanibel family trip.  Once again, thank you all, especially Pat and Eileen.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Beautiful family! How wonderful that you are all able to gather in such a perfect place.