Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Silver River and Silver Glen Springs.



Saturday, December 17, 2011.  What a day! But, you'll have to wait for the details.  I still have Sanibel stories to complete.  Sunday night, Sanibel stories complete.  Went to DeLeon Springs State Park today.  Now, for Saturday's Tale.
Coots off the Rays Wayside launch site.  I was in the water at 8:40. Down the short canal to the Silver River.


Getting photos of great egret and ibis before reaching the River, this could be a good day.
 Anhinga
 Always good to get a two for one. Great egret and blue heron, above. Blue heron and ibis, below.

 Pie billed grebe





Limpkin
 Great blue heron
 Cormorant
 Wood stork



First turtle of the day.  They come out to sun before the alligators.



 Tri colored heron.  Looks googly eyed in the head on view.
 First alligator of the morning, 9:30.
 Red shouldered hawk




Another two for one. Ibis and great blue heron.




 A congregation of young alligators. That is what a group of alligators is called.  Not sure if because the victim better pray, or the gators say grace before the meal.


 Morhen


More morhens.
Not a bad morning, so far.  Alligators, turtles, lots of birds.  But, this is the Silver River. Famous fo rhesus monkeys.




A large troop, right side of the River, just past where the State Park land ends and Silver Springs attraction property begins.






Felt like I was back with the family.



Began to see a lot of reptiles.





 3-4-1. Turtles, blue heron, morhen.
 Another gator.
 On closer inspection, another nother gator.
 If I could ID turtle species, that's a 4 in one above.  The bigger one is either a Florida or Suwannee cooter. Likely the former.
 Reached the source, or the main source, as several springs feed the Silver River, at 11:05

Glass bottom boats decked out for Christmas. I don't think I saw a power boat until I saw the tour boats.  Saw one kayaker, coming back, and a few canoers that launched at Silver River State Park.

 3 for 1. Anhinga, morhen, blue heron.




 Black crowned night heron






Two guys at an overlook at the Silver River State Park asked if I saw any alligators.  "So many I ran out of fingers and toes to count"




 An alligator even blocked the State Park landing.
A little one, so no problem getting out of the kayak for a lunch break.
Walked as I ate my sandwich.  Back into the water, gator submerging as I entered.




 Two more two for's.






Boat traffic was light. Halloween  through New Years is the best time to be on the water. Beautiful weather, and not as crowded as in the summer, or post Christmas, when the snowbirds flock to Florida.  One power boating was fishing. No fishing is allowed on the Silver River.  I asked if it was worth the fine.  "I've been on this River hundreds of times"  Then you should know the rules, dumbass, I thought.  He's setting a fine example for his kids.
They, and two kayakers, were at an island about 2/3 of the way down River.  As were monkeys.






I let my readers comment on this guy.



So many gator photos. Here's a video.





 May have woke up this turtle.

 Limpkin great egret 2fer.

I saw a bald eagle, overhead.  Hoped it would land, but it did not. At least where I could see it.
I did the short Silver River paddle, not continuing to the confluence with the Ocklawaha River and paddling it for a while.  Landed about 2:20.   I wanted to give myself time to explore the Ocala National Forest and visit Silver Glen Springs.
The Forest exploration came by driving the dirt road that goes north from Highway 40, then east to Highway 19.
 The road forms the west and north boundaries of the Juniper Prairie Wilderness, where no mechanical devices are allowed


I hoped to spot a deer, maybe even a bear on the almost 10 mile drive, but was not so fortunate.  The Forest road meets Highway 19 just north of the Silver Glen Springs Recreation Area.  Just one car in the parking lot.   A concession employee, on a golf cart, just outside the pay station.  She said she needed to speak to me.  Oh, no, is the Spring closed?   No, she wanted to warn me about bears.   A mother, 2 cubs and a few males had been in the area for the last week.  Feasting on a bumper acorn crop.  One is just over there, she pointed.    Indeed it was.  I did not have the camera with me.  She said they were getting very brazen,  not leaving when confronting humans, as she clapped her hands.  The bear did leave.  "First time that has happened" she said.  Her car tire had been punctured by a bear's claw.  She was waiting in her golf cart to advise who ever was in the car in the lot about the bears.  And, she was locking the gate at 5, not 5:30 as she did not want to be there, with the bears, after dark.  I assured her I would be careful, got my camera and snorkel gear, paid the $5.50 entry fee, and walked to the Spring.
The bear waled away from the Spring.  I got in the water.  Had to get in past the buoy line, as the entry is undergoing renovation.



Mullet mania.







When I surfaced, I looked on shore for bears. Did not see any.   When the acorns run out, if the bears discover all the fish in the Spring, it might have to close down.
I finished my swim, and as I toweled off, there was a bear.

I put my shoes on and walked the short Spring Boils Trail.


Seeing where a bear took a dump, as I stepped in another pile of bear poop. I'd seen bears here once before, only a fleeting glimpse.


A boils video.
 This site has been occupied for millenia, as evidenced by a large shell mound
I returned to my car. The other car was gone.  Nice to have the place to myself.   And the bears.  As I backed out, there they were. I got out of the car.










What a day. Monkeys, gators and bears.  Outnumbered by bears at Silver Glen.  Sharp-eyed Stephanie saw the bear photo at the beginning of the Tale and wondered if the dark spot in the palmettos was a third bear.  I'd like to think so.
Ended the day with a walk on the Yearling Trail, across 19 from Silver Glen.



Bears have been here, too.

 Saw only one scrub jay
 It was not long ago, geologically speaking, that Florida was underwater.
A bald eagle ends the day at 5:30 PM.

8 comments:

Luis said...

Whoa...If these are the entries; What can we expect for the main dish? Do not make us wait too long :)

Joanne said...

Very good day, I would say! Love the monkey photos and of course, the bears.

Luis said...

Heck of a day for Dave. If only the Packers...never mind. My wife also mentioned something about the dark spot in the palmettos. Either way, a great experience.

Dave or Phyllis said...

Watch out for that little gator at the Silver River State Park launch. Someone has been feeding him.

Dave said...

DoP, two guys at the dock said "Yeah, he's been fed"

Octohawk said...

What a great tale! The amount of time you spend in your kayak (and on trails) and the sheer number of places you visit is truly inspiring (especially for someone as boring as I am who always goes to the same spots). I've been meaning to paddle the Silver River for ages now, but never even considered Silver Glen Springs since it's always so busy with boaters. What a joy to have had it all to yourself!

Luis said...

The little gator at the Silver River State Park launch is probably the same one we made reference of on the most recent trip. It is not shy.

Dave said...

Ohawk, the time to go to Silver Glen Springs is now. Natives, like yourself, think its too cold outside, and the snowbirds haven't arrived. But they will in a few days with Christmas.