Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Wekiva River, Blackwater Creek

You're thinking, "I thought he wrote he was going to Sanibel"   I did, and will be, soon.  Later than originaly planned, in order to pick up a nephew who is taking a bus from Atlanta to Orlando, at 4 PM. 2:30 now.  I'll post a few pics and make some notes before loading the inside of the car.  Which is loaded with three kayaks on the roof and two bikes on the back.  It was good to have a test drive before going on the long journey.   I arrived at Katie's Landing just before 8.  Unloaded one of the kayak trio, parked, walked to the restroom.   Coming into the Park, a van, green kayak on the roof.  Looks like Luis.  The driver got out to pay the $3 fee, sure looked like Luis, but wearing a Bucky Badger sweatshirt.  I didn't think Luis had any affiliation with Wisconsin.  But, it was he.


Turns out Luis went to Madison on business, and stayed over for a weekend.  A football weekend.  And, no surprise, had a great time.

On the River at 8:25.  Went to check the area across from the Landing.


 From shore, I saw a woodstork land across the Wekiva.  But, did not see it when I paddled across.  After a few minutes, I headed down River.





Saw a flash of brown and tan feathers.  Limpkin?  No, a  barred owl, on the ground.  My momentum carried me by, I paddled back for a photo, and of course, it flew away.






That's all for now.  I need to shower, get organized, pick up my godson, and drive to Sanibel.  It'll be good to have someone riding shotgun in case there's any issue with the fully laden Nissan.

It is now Monday night.  Time to add few pics to Saturday's Tale.



Just read Luis's blog from his trip on the Wekiva.  He has a photo of a barred owl. Probably the one I missed.



Alligators came out with the sun.
Blackwater Creek entrance, 10:30 am.



I turned around after only 20 minutes. An alligator had just slid into the water, somewhere in the above photo.








Back to the Wekiva. 
Met Luis, again. He said he thought he heard a bear, near the island down stream of Wekiva Haven.



A quiet day, as far as powerboats go.  Writing three days later, I only recall one. A pontoon boat.



A large group of paddlers made up the bulk of the day's traffic.



A nice day before picking up Derek and heading to Sanibel.



Landed at 12:50.   Picked up my nephew a little after 4, got to Sanibel Island about 8.

2 comments:

Luis said...

Blackwater Creek at 10:30. That means I am one hour thirty minutes slower. Darn...I need to pick up the pace.

Dave said...

But, Luis, your pictures are better.