Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Crystal River

This is the week this month I work Saturday, in exchange for a half day during the week.  I chose the last Saturday of the month to get maximum daylight. Launched at Hunter Springs Park at 3:08.  About 8 kayaks on the beach, scuba divers in the Spring.  Don't these people have to work?   Down the canal/run to Kings Bay.




Past Pete's Pier to the canal leading to Three Sisters Spring.   Saw the first manatee of the day as I got close to the Spring.  Several in the sanctuary are outside the run to Three Sisters.  Not to many, it was 80 degrees or so.  But, way too many people for me.  On a Tuesday, for crying out loud.  So, I left.
 Rafts of coots on Kings Bay


  Cormorants.
 Anhinga


Blue winged teal.  One advantage of a busy populated area. Birds are less skittish, than at, say, Cedar Key.
Paddling the gap between Buzzard Island and Banana Island, I saw a dolphin.  Several times.  Disappointed I could not get a picture.  But, my spirits were soon lifted.

It landed where I've seen eagles before, maybe the same one.

Couldn't get too close, as the area near shore is a manatee sanctuary. Speaking of which, as I paddled towards King Spring,  three anglers were casting into the Manatee Sanctuary.  I asked if it was worth the fine.  ""What?"   "Fishing in the Sanctuary" "The Sanctuary is over there".   So, what about the buoys you are casting over?  "Keep an eye out for officials"  "Thank you"    Nice that the blind can fish. Here's info on the Sanctuary, with a Map.   I circled Buzzard Island, headed back to Three Sisters Spring.

Looks like female Buffleheads and blue winged teal.


Fisherbird.

Fisherman.  Happy guy.  Happy snook, to as it was released.  Not in season, and to big if they were in season.  This was in the canal on the way to Three Sisters.  I hoped the crowd  had cleared out.  I was running short on time, as Hunter Springs Park closes at sunset.  I could have launched at the ramp between Charlies Restaurant and Bird's Underwater, which does not close, but I prefer the soft bank launch at Hunter Springs to concrete and asphalt.  As does the bottom of my kayak.


Osprey across from Three Sisters.
Which was much less crowded. One pontoon boat.  From the Port Hotel, but with a USGS Manatee Research banner tied to the rail.  I had seen it in the canal, earlier.  I was watching two manatees eating a clump of seaweed.  Then a boat came, too fast, in my opinion.  No indication they saw the manatees.  What were they researching?  Boat strikes, first hand?   They might want to sent a better example.  When I launched, a woman told me they were capturing manatees.  Probably part of this
I anchored outside the run to Three Sisters and conducted my own research.


 Needlefish

Just a few wet suited (wimps) snorkelers and two kayakers in the Springs.

 The two resting manatees with the fish were in Three Sisters.  There may have been more, but I just swam to the center vent, and pressed for time, turned back, not going to the vents on the right and left.
 Mullet in the run.

I was only in the water 15 minutes.  Back in the yak, course set for Hunter Spring.





 Landed at 6:04. One other car in the lot.  Not a cop or park worker,waiting to lock the gate, which has happened to me in the past, but a car with a kayak rack.  Had to be these guys.
 Shoot, I could have spent 10 more minutes with the manatees.

No comments: