Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day Two, Horseshoe Lake. Salt Springs Run

It was cold in rural Marion County, Florida, Sunday morning. So, to let things warm up a bit, I went for a walk.
 I took a few steps and thought, I don't think I've ever felt this cold in Florida. Not cold enough to go back for another layer. T-shirt, heavy long sleeve T, and a hooded sweatshirt.







 The above pic is to remind me of the flying bald eagle I failed to capture.
 Sand hill cranes.

Looking back at the cabins. 

 My cabin.  One of the canoes is for Cabin 3.  I had a key to the padlock on the chain if I wanted to use it.  Plenty of life jackets and paddles in the cabin.



  I fixed breakfast, the cabin has a large and small frying pan, a kettle,spatulas, serving spoon, and slotted spoon.   But, as mentioned in Saturday's Tale, no dishes or cutlery.   Instead of using the pizza plan for my plate, I used the cutting board.

Outside, a man was digging around the canoes.  I went out, introduced myself.   Doug- I have to chuckle, and am disappointed I did not make a joke at the time, was pulling up the posts the canoes are chained to.    To move the canoes closer to the water.  He told me the lake has recdeded greatly during the recent drought.   Usually, the sandy areas in the above photos are underwater, the water flowing into the reeds.  I asked him about the hiking trail.  He said there has been recent logging that has affected the trail.   I had been on a logging road, Saturday.  He also told me the map near the playground was wrong, and he needed to take that down.  Leftover when the Park was a private retreat.   I also asked about the park gate.  He said it does not close, but I could park inside another, locked gate.   I had opened the padlock, but not seeing a wheel, did not see how to swing it back.  I looked at it again, unlocked it, and lifted the gate to carry back.  Left the car where it was, but now knew what to do when I got back from kayaking. 
I made the 30 mile drive to Salt Springs Marina. Paid the $5 fee, and was in the water at 10 to 12. Wore shoes and socks instead of my watershoes due to the cold. It only got up to 51, with a steady north wind.

I paddled Salt Springs Run twice last February, seeing manatees one of those visits.  I figured manatees would be near the Springs today, seeking warm water.  I paddled  across the Run, then to the Spring entrance, looking and listening.  Did not see any manatees.  Began to head downstream, and saw the distinctive wake a manatee creates.




Three manatees.  Check off that creature from my goal to see alligators, otters, monkeys, bald eagles,  manatees, deer and bear this weekend.  The final two to go.




Overlook at the end of the Salt Springs Trail.  The only structure down stream from the Marina.


An osprey prepares to dine.






I was having a good bald eagle weekend.  This made four.  Photos of two.
 I was focusing on the great blue heron when I heard as splash.  Otter or fish, I thought.  Both, otter with fish.
 Not a very good photo, but unlike the Silver River, Saturday, at least I got a photo.

Coots covered the Run.
 It's your turn to watch, Jr., dear.



 Shell mound.
 I was getting close to Lake George, the second largest lake in Florida.  The wind began to kick up.  In my face. I had been paddling just over 2 hours.  Good time to turn around.

An osprey was building the nest above, until it flew off, and down, towards me. Was I too close? No, the bald eagle behind me was, as the osprey chased it across the Run.


I planned to stop at one of the two shell middens, which other than a flat spot well up the Run, are the only places with dry land.  A canoer, the only one I saw was at the landing up the Run.   I passed the first mound, only to find a group at the second.  Probably camping nearby, they were getting water from the Run.  I asked if they minded if I landed.


 Hand the usual sandwich and was on my way.



 Seemed like I followed the otter below for about five minutes.  The above shot is one of many failed attempts, but it is a nice Salt Springs Run photo.



Very few dedicated fisherman out on the cool afternoon.  The only boat moving fast was one that went by as I ate lunch.  Back at the Marina and Springs, I searched for manatees.

Wasn't seeing any, but that's OK.
 An eagle extending the landing gear is pretty cool.

 The prima donna eagle must not have liked that I took my eye off it to photo a great blue heron in the lower branches.
I went into the canal on the Marina side, looking for manatees, none.  Across to the canal at the Salt Springs Rec Area.  None there either.  But I did get to ask the guy on shore if there were firepits near the picnic tables.  No, its a picnic area only.  Would be a great spot for campsites.
I headed back to the launch, and and then, I saw a manatee.  The one in the opening photo.  It was hard to get good pictures as it was behind me, pushing the kayak.  Then below, gently bumping the yak.  Finally, on its belly using both flippers to grab hang on to the bow.
If only it had turned me so the sun was behind me. As I compose this on Valentines Day, nothing says I love you like a manatee fondling a red kayak.
I landed at 4:40.

As I paddled, I thought it would be good to have soup as part of dinner.  Usually on these three day trips, I eat in one night, out the other.  But, Lake Horseshoe Park is in the middle of nowhere.   Actually, you have to drive to get to nowhere.   There are roadside places, but once I got back to the cabin, I did not want to drive.  Soup requires a bowl.  My coffee cup would do.   Spoon.  The serving spoons were too big and I had only plastic forks and knifes.  My spork would be perfect, but for the fact it was in the silverware drawer at home.   Its in the glove compartment now.   So, I stopped at the Salt Spring Grocery for a can of  clam chowder, a potato, and a box of plastic spoons.   I had cooked only half of the bottom round steak, Saturday.
Next stop, the Eureka East boat ramp.  I decided that instead of paddling Juniper Creek, Monday, and having to use the Rec area shuttle service, I would paddle the Ocklawaha from the 316 bridge.  There are launches on both sides.  I stopped to scout them out.  I had launched from the east ramp once before.

 Looks like I won't have to share the launch with motor boats
 Back in 2008, I put in from the bank, it was much lower.  Or, rather, the River was higher.
 Back to, and across, the bridge.
To the Eureka West launch.

Which has a fishing dock.


And a boat dock.  A small jon boat landed as I  watched.   For me, the East side was where I would go Monday.

Back home, where one of the cabin canoes and all the general public ones had been moved closer to the lake.


Speaking of amenities, cabin dwellers have access to the conference/game room.

No balls for the foosball table.
And ice machine.

Too cold to build a fire, or even enjoy one of the three rocking chairs on the porch.  Which would be really nice if it had a table.  Note to self. Look for a camping chair with a built in folding table.
I made dinner. Nice to use the oven to bake the potato on a cold night.  Had the soup, Campbell's select,with added onions, carrot and Penzey's spices (mine, not the cabin's) as it baked. Then ate half the potato and 2/3 of the steak, saving the rest for breakfast.  Composed the Day 1 Tale, choosing from the 250 photos left after I deleted the bad ones, and went to bed.

 

No comments: