Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, February 13, 2012

Horseshoe Lake, Day Three

Sandhill cranes over take off as I begin  my morning walk, just before 8:00 am.  NOAA said it was 25 in Ocala at 7 am.  That's about 45 miles south west of where I am.   Colder then Sunday morning.  I wore two jackets, hooded Packer fleece and windbreaker, and was glad I did.   Weather .com now reports it is a balmy 37 at 9:00.   After shower, breakfast, packing, I'm off to the Ocklawaha River.   No rush, I don't have to be out of the cabin until 3.

Tuesday, 11:20, a few pics from the walk before bedtime.


 Iced up Yakdave Mobile.
I wrote that Sunday morning was the coldest I had felt in my 22 years in Florida.  A two shirt, two jacket walk. Frosted grass crunching under my feet.


Once again I tried to walk the Park trail.  Here's perhaps the most extensive article about the Park, from the Florida Hikes site.  It says the trail is 1.8 miles.  I came to two dead ends, perhaps a result of logging activity, and decided a walk on  the Lake shore would be better.
I was not he only creature to have strolled these sands.




Frosted lily pads.



I had this photo in Saturday's Tale, today I pulled the anchor up, I had to use force, to break the ice, so if you looked at the earlier photo, and thought, I don't see ice, the cracks prove how cold it was.

 Looking at my cabin, from the Lake, which I walked all the way around.  A short walk.
And the other side.  I went to look at Cabin 1.  It is set back from Horseshoe Lake, the view blocked by Cabins 1, 2,  and a large building, purpose unknown, between them.
My morning took 50 minutes.
A leisurely shower, breakfast, pack up, straighten up the place, take the garbage out-didn't want anyone to see the beer cans and bottles, alcohol is not allowed, a chat with caretaker, Doug, and I was on my way.
I can say I had beer, as I got my deposit back.  And got the answer about the administrative fee, which I thought was over billed.  I still think it was, but Marion County charges the fee on the entire transaction, rental rate, taxes, and security deposit.  Despite that, I'll be back.  With a plate, bowl, knife, fork and spoon.
I launched from the Eureka East launch area at 12:05.  Would have launched a minute or two earlier, but right when I was about to take a pee, a  car drove up.  So, I waited until the couple walked down the bank a bit.  There were two options for putting in.  One, on the right, a bank about 18-24 inches above a narrow, flat area, about half the width of my kayak.  The other, a more gradual slope in front of the unusable boat ramp, is where I put the yak in.   Wrong choice.  My left leg sank mid thigh in the muck.  I extricated it, carefully, so my aqua sox stayed on, and pushed off.  No shoes and socks today, despite the frigid morning, it had warmed up. Just one shirt and windbreaker this afternoon as I began to paddle up the Ocklawaha against a fairly strong current.


This is just the second time I've paddled this section of the Ock.  Some people like it a lot.  Both times I've paddled it, I've thought all of the wildlife was in the nearby Silver River.



If not for the great blue herons, I would have very few wildlife photos.


After two and a half hours, I turned around.

 Instead of stopping, I dined ala yak.

There is a deer behind these trees.  And, when it ran off, two more followed.  That's the wildlife I was looking for.  Now, I only had to see a bear to complete my alligator, monkey, otter, bald eagle, manatee, deer, bear, weekend quest.




The lack of rainfall means the Ocklwaha River is greatly influenced by the spring fed Silver River.
Shell embedded bank.  An Indian midden, perhaps?


So little wildlife I posted a vulture, something I usually ignore.


 What I like about the Ocklawaha River is the lack of civilization.  Between the bridge and the Gores Lading campground, 8 miles, down River, there is one house, high on a bluff.
I did not reach Gore's Landing this trip.  Here's my other Ocklawaha paddle, in July, 2008.  More historical detail then this Tale. http://davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2008/07/ocklawaha-river.html



On my 2008 paddle, I woman did a back flip on the swing from  this platform.  Today, no one was on the water.  I'm trying to think if that has ever happened.  Maybe on a weekday morning Rock Spring Run  paddle.But usually, by the time I land, people are launching from Wekiwa Springs State Park.  Maybe the weekend in August, 2008, just after Tropical Storm Fay.  Just checked that Tale.  
"I saw two other paddlers, or four. Four guys in two canoes from the Wekiva Marina. Seems they opened for business despite the high water."



 Pileated woodpecker.
I landed at 5:15, this time landing to the left of my car, where the bank was higher, but the bottom firm.  Here is how the same spot looked in July, 2008.

I was about to get out of my damp pants when a car drove up.  Perfect timing, once again.  An interesting lady. A local, taking photos.  She had never seen the River so low.  She showed me some of her photos, including an albino squirrel at  a local graveyard.  No better place for a ghost squirrel, I told her.
Much better than being in my cubicle on a Monday.
A deer, there were two, on County 316.   I stopped a Yearling Trail, in search of a sunset scrub jay.


No scrub jays, or bears.  I did see two more deer as I headed home on US 19. I had a very enjoyable 3 day weekend.

1 comment:

Luis said...

Not bad Dave. Not bad at all. Just the bear out of the week-end request? Still more than many people see in a year.