Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Wekiwa Springs State Park, Rock Springs Run

I thank SFlaGuy for saying the above photo is " a National Geographic shot"  Maybe, but this is better.
Too bad I can't take credit for it.  Stephanie can.  My kayaking friend asked is she could join me Sunday.  I said sure.  My plan was to go to Wekiwa Springs State Park, and paddle Rock Springs Run.  But, I did not want the work of carrying two kayaks up the hill after the paddle, so I said we'd go to Katie's Landing.  But, the wind has blowing hard, the Wekiva is wide at Katie's, and I decided we'd spend as much effort paddling into the wind as we would carrying the yaks up and down the hill.  Besides, Stephanie had never paddled Rock Springs Run.  So, off we went.

It wasn't bad carrying the kayaks down the hill to the launch site, and we were on the water just before 9:30.




A few shots of pie billed grebe, anhinga, and ibis in the lagoon, and it was down the Wekiva River to Rock Springs Run.

Stephanie bought me a walkie-talkie set for my birthday.  At least she tells me it is for me.  As we paddle at different paces, it is handy to keep in touch.  Approaching the confluence, I radioed her to turn left ahead.  Looking back, I saw her and made a left turn signal with my arm.  I next saw her almost two hours later.
 Red shoulder hawk with something hanging from its beak.

 Tooth mark?



I paddled very slowly up the Run, pausing several times, waiting for Stephanie to catch up.  She likes to stop and take photos like this.

I on the other hand, use the paddle by method.



Point, shoot, and hope for the best.   My plan was to paddle past Big Buck, turn around, and stop at Big Buck for a break.   I knew it would be empty, as I asked downstream paddlers, loaded with camping gear where they had spent the night.  Big Buck.   But, I never got there.  Did not even get to Otter Camp.   Three paddlers in sleek racing canoes came up the Run.  I asked if they had seen a woman in a green kayak.  They had, and told me she had asked them for the best way back to Wekiwa Springs State Park.  So, I turned around at 11:10.



I found my friend back on the Wekiva, in her usual pose.  For whatever reason, the walkie-talkies did not work.



Plenty of gators, mostly small, in the Wekiva.


The launch area for Wekiwa Springs State Park is just outside the spring area.  It is on an open area, I call it a lagoon. The water then narrows into the Wekiva River.  When returning to the launch, I may check out the one side or the other.  But this time, as I had not been out very long, I circled the entire lagoon.



And chuckled to myself as I recalled the woman who asked, "Are there alligators in this river?"





 While I was on one side of the lagoon, taking pictures of the log packed with turtles and little gators, Stephanie was on the other.  I paddled across to see what was so interesting.
Snakes.  The picture below taken by Stephanie.

Not sure if a cotton mouth or a harmless brown water snake.
I went back to safer territory.


We landed just before one. Toted the kayaks up the hill, and got them on the cars.  Stephanie had a family commitment, and had to go.  I, having no commitments, or perhaps needing to be committed, spent the next 2.5 hours biking, hiking, and swimming in Wekiwa Springs State Park. 
But first, lunch.
Then, on the bike to Sand Lake.


It's two miles from the main parking area near the Springs to the Sand Lake parking area.  I got off my bike, and started walking. 
Saw a opossum just before the corral.
 Where a horse was led to water, and drank.
I decided to walk to Big Buck Camp.  I'm guessing it is about a mile and a half from Sand Lake.
 Mill Creek.  To bad I did not notice the smudged lens



Forty minutes to reach Rock Springs Run.  Big Buck was occupied, I said hi as I walked by.  On the way back, the campers asked if I wanted to sit down.  I sure did.  I declined a beer and shot of tequila.   And water.  I recently bought a hydration pack.  Small one, one and a half liters. I like it better than carrying a water bottle.



Back to Sand Lake at 3:50.
 This sign says the "old white trail" is reopened.   A straighter shot to Big Buck.  And more shade.  I need to find it.

I rested a few minutes, than bike back to my car.

My hydration pack bone dry.  It was a summer like day.  The strong winds were out of the south, it got up to 86 in Orlando, I'd expect a bit cooler in the wooded State Park.



Always a comfortable 72 in Wekiwa Spring.




My day, and weekend ended, just before 5.  Nice to have spent time at two places that have been favorites for years, well before my kayaking days, Canaveral National Seashore, and Wekiwa Springs State Park.
Tomorrow, Wednesday is the day in February I work half a day.  I'm thinking Homosassa River. Much less crowded than Crystal River for hanging out with manatees.

5 comments:

SFlaGuy said...

Now there's a National Geographic shot if ever I saw one.

Rick, Sunshine State said...

Thanks for the Wekiwa update, you both had a great day !!

Brenda M said...

Stephanie needs to go along more often...AWESOME head shot of the baby gators!!

Luis said...

Heck of an opening pic!!!!

Octohawk said...

Those are some great shots! The new camera I got for my birthday has a terrrrible zoom, so my wildlife shots have been nonexistent.