Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rock Springs Run

I was having a bad day.  Started early, with the wind was rattling my roof.  Only it was not the wind.  Roofers.  Do they really have to start at 7 am?  Then work.  I could comment, but to paraphrase Governor William J. Le Petomaine, I need to protect my phoney baloney job.  Thank goodness this was my half day this month and I was out of there at 1:00. Things were looking much better from the water at 2:00.

Better, but not as good as it could be.  Lots of people on the Wekiva River.  Looks like spring break has begun.



Relatively crowded on Rock Springs Run.


Scratch the "relatively". 10-15 boats, it was crowded.



I paddled about 30 minutes up Run of Big Buck turning back at 4:08, with the view below, looking up Run.
Down stream views.


Astute readers will notice the yellow kayak. I had to think about the last time the Riot Voyager was on the water.  December 26, sister Monica at Geiger Key.


The sideways growing maple, my turn around point on Sunday.
I wanted to stop to stretch my legs at Big Buck, but the last down Run paddlers, two guys in a canoe, were taking a break there, so I kept going.




Good thing I did not stop, or I may have missed this deer duo.




 The down Run paddle was almost people free.  After the guys at Big Buck, two canoes, headed to Big Buck to spend the night.



A byproduct of the traffic I saw earlier was too much trash on the Run.  I feel a bit guilty, only picking up two cans, a Miller and a Pepsi.  I don't think people intentionally toss things, they are just stupid.  Putting cans or coffee cups on top of coolers, hit a log, and overboard it goes.  Why  even have a cup of coffee on the water.  You couldn't drink a cup at home, or on the drive to Kings Landing?  Save the beer for the drive, I mean, when you get, home.



I saw two more deer.  At the sandbar, or what used to be a sandbar until a tree fell on it, 10-15 minutes from the Wekiva.  No photos.

Return to the Wekiva River.
And the lagoon outside the launch area and Springs.

Landed at 6:18.

Moon rise in the parking lot.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I am glad your day got better. It is disheartening to read your comments on the trash; looks like we volunteers have a busy and frustrating season ahead. If everyone did what you do--first of all, not littering, but also picking up just one or two pieces of trash, it would help a lot. I feel a personal responsibility for RSR, but when I am on other streams, even though I'm not there for a clean-up, I try to pick up a little, just so I can know I left it better than I found it. I'm glad you do the same.