Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Haulover Canal

What an afterrnoon!  At,
On the water at 2:25, thinking, a breeze would be nice in this heat.  Be careful what you wish for.
Nice and smooth in the shelter of  the cove where the launch site is on the Indian River.  But, once I got past the tip to the right, headed to Mullet Head Island, the wind and waves picked up.
Wasn't that bad. No water came in the kayak. Perhaps it was my skillful paddling.


As usual, calmer on the back, west side of Mullet Head.


Birds seem to like the protected side, too.






Such a display!. Spoonbills, reddish egrets, snowy egrets, tri colored heron, black crowned night heron, great egrets, pelicans and more, squawking,  chirping, screeching. It was great.


video of the birds. 

I took no photos on the east side of the Island, as I was farther away, it is a nesting sanctuary, and back on the choppy water.  To the east, two anvil shaped clouds loomed.

I hoped the sea  breeze would blow them west, past me.  I went into the first of two dead end canals south of the alternate canal entrance. Something crackled the mangrove prop roots as it splashed into the canal. Gator, I thought. There were no manatees. But, from poop floating on the water, at least one had been there. On the way out, I saw I was right about the alligator.


I had been on the water for almost 90 minutes, and, so far, no manatees.  That would soon change. But first.

This red breasted merganser   has been in the area since Sunday afternoon, as seen from Luis amd Mary's kayak

If you are still with me after seeing the fantastic photos in Luis's blog, here's what I saw in Bair's Cove.




The best part, I was the only one in the Cove. No boats going in and out. There were about 10 people on the dock, and shore, manatee watching.  I think there will be more here in the future.  The Manatee Overlook, kitty corner from Bair's Cove, is closed.  Looks like they are improving the road.   While  they're at it, it would be nice if they'd take some of the dirt across State Road  3 and put it in the VW Bug sized pot holes on the road to the kayak launch.
Ahh.... to float on your back while eating. That's relaxation.
Manatee video
I left the frolicking manatees, and paddled towards Mosquito Lagoon.



No manatees at the Overlook, which is closed until September.  From the FWS:
Manatee Deck Closed The road accessing the Manatee Observation Deck on the northeast side of Haulover Canal is being paved and will be closed for construction. The construction period may last until September. If you are interested in viewing manatees a good alternative location is Bairs Cove Boat ramp, located on the southwest side of Haulover Canal. There is a designated gravel parking area for manatee viewing on the left before entering the boat ramp area. The entrance fee will be temporarily waived during this time for people viewing manatees. The fees still apply for all other activities at the boat ramp.

There were several manatees in transit, in the Canal.
I went into the area north of the Canal.  Saw a sting ray, tried to photo it, too cloudy.  The water.  Skies getting cloudy too, but mostly to the west.

The Lagoon has white caps, so I just took a few pictures of the pelicans and cormorants on the rip rap at the entrance to the Canal and turned back.


Bald eagle. 

 I heard a woodpecker rapping. Paddled over to the south bank, where the noise was coming from. Two red bellied woodpeckers.
One turned, and I saw how they got the name. Too bad I did not get that photo.  A light red, almost pink hue mixed in mostly white breast and belly.

There were no boats in the Canal.  I saw one all afternoon.  Just a few anglers on the banks.  Leaving room for alligators.
A second gator was just past this one. Both on the south bank of the Canal.  Three may be a Haulover Canal record for me. 



Back to Bairs Cove. Fewer manatees. They were headed out to the Canal.
I think the merganser missed the flight Up North.
I hoped a dolphin would come to Bairs Cove, or nearby "Dolphin Cove" to feed. And give me the coveted alligator, manatee, dolphin "Florida Trifecta" No such luck.  So, I paddled towards the Indian River, eyes peeled for a dorsal fin, ears alert for an exhale.


Heard manatees exhale, not dolphins.


Royal terns and brown pelicans near the launch site.  I was tempted to go out to Mullet Head again, but there were dark skies to the west, lighting in the distant southwest skies.  But, I needed to see a dolphin.  So, I paddled to the alternate channel, back to "Dolphin" and Bairs Coves.
Vehicle Assembly Building.
More manatees.
Ma'am, see any dolphins?  The merganser was silent.



Still no dolphins.  Back to the launch area, I paddled around the Canal entrance. Dophins like to hunt the entrance.  Lots of fish as the dredged Canal deep water meets the shallow Indian River.  I made on last trip east, back to Bairs Cove.
Ho hum, another manatee.
  But, a dolphin surfaced. Headed towards the Indian River.  I followed.  I'd paddle, glide a bit, holding the camera, holding, would have to pick up the paddle, and the dolphin would surface. It happened two or three times.  I swear, it knew when I put the camera down.  Tried a video, did not work.  Finally, a distant shot as it entered the Indian River.



Landed at 6:50.
It's always nice not to get rained on, but still see a rainbow.
I stopped at the Scrub Jay Trail.

I did not see any scryb jays. This is an easteren towhee.  How to I know? The way I learned about wildlife pre www.  Informative signage on public lands.


Grouse
 A nice one mile, plus walk.  The trail is one mile,  I walked part of it twice hoping to find some scrub jays.
This is the road that goes past Black Point Wildlife Drive.  My usual route .  On the way in, the gate at the other end of the road, used to close it for space launches,  was closed.  A fire

Big birds used to be in this building. Now, the shuttle fleet is in museums.
Sunset, through the clouds, crossing to the mainland.

4 comments:

Luis said...

Another Trifecta? Way to go!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful wildlife! Looking forward to seeing what's to come.

Check this out
http://www.wesh.com/news/31029589/detail.html

I was planning on going out there yesterday but kept getting a weird feeling about gators then saw this news bit today.

Brenda M said...

This could be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Curious if there's a reason why you always use a river yak instead of a sea kayak when doing salt water/ocean yakking?? I'm kind of leery to even try Cedar Key in our river yaks out of concern that we could take in enough water on a choppy day to cause a problem, and we always take the sea kayak in ocean waters.

Dave said...

Brenda, I consider my kayak multi purpose. I've spent weekends on Cedar Key where I spent very little time on open water, due to windy conditions. No problem,as there is plenty of sheltered paddling inside the Keys