Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Mosquito Lagoon

I have said, more than once, that the best thing about living in the Orlando area is having access to both coasts. Saturday, 90 miles to the Chassahowitzka River and Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge on the Gulf coast.  Sunday, 60 miles to the Mosquito Lagoon, Canaveral National Seashore, on the Atlantic Coast.  Out of bed at 7:45, on the water at 9:35.  Headed south, into the wind.  To have it at my back, on the way back.  As the launch site, Parking Lot 7, is on a point, the wind became a cross wind.
After go dolphinless on the Chass, and last weekend in the south Florida Keys (as distinguished from the Cedar Keys), I saw one twenty minutes into the paddle.  The only one I would see. To see it, click the above photo. Then click it again.
With the wind, I thought manatees might be in a little cove.
There were.
I left the cove, and seeing a bird on an island across the water, headed that way.
Whatever I saw as long gone by the time I got there.  I did see birds, like this great egret.
In a short, fingerling cove that I thought as the way around the island.  As I thought with a second, longer cove.  From this map I had to be circling the north part of Plantation Island. Go to page 2. See the two inlets?

A man made canal. Maybe next time, I'll see how far I can go.  With a higher tide.
I saw small groups of manatees, two here, three there. Cove entrances seemed to be a favored spot
Unable to get good pics, so I posted a bad one.
I wondered what the white stuff on the shore was.
Dried seaweed.   This was a part of the Lagoon I had not paddled before.  Always interesting to see new things.  An old, thing, but seen from a different angle. The Castle Windy midden
I took a short break.
Walked a short way on the trail that goes to the Atlantic, the drone of mosquitoes had be turn back.  None landed on me.  Or so I thought.  Back at the picnic table I looked down. 4 or 5 feasting on my left leg.
Shoreline restoration efforts.
New mangroves and oyster beds.

A manatee you can see. Barely.

Back to the cove where I saw manatees to begin the day. One aquatic mammal was present.
Plus a few more.
I wanted to get a video, and got the dreaded "Change Battery Pack" message.  So I did.  Took some video, but they aren't worthy to post.
Saw the last manatee of the day, after passing the Eldora State House, across the water from the launch site at Lot 7. Landed about 1:40.
Went for a short bike ride.

Stopped at the beach.



Back on the bike.

Not bad for a ride that is 2 miles at most.  The Eldora Loop Road.
Great southern white butterflies were everywhere.  Got theses pics at Lot 7, before leaving.

I did not pack a lunch, had an apple and a Planters peanut bar. The peanut butter that holds the nuts in place got very soft after a short time in the PFD pocket.  Bright sunny day. Just looked at the weather for Sunday,  83 was the high in New Smyrna Beach.  10 degrees cooler than at my Winter Park home.  Gotta love that sea breeze.

I did not pack a lunch because I was going to stop at JB' s Fishcamp.  But, adding up what I'd spend there, it would be 25-30 bucks, and its been a bad year, $ wise.  I considered a burger at the Breakers, but thought, what do I need a view for?   So, I stopped a Publix, got a couple preseasoned patties.  Turned out well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous. As usual, wonderful pics!

Dave said...

Thank you. And I didn't have the good ones posted when you commented.

Luis said...

I have to pay a visit to the Canaveral National Sea Shore. After seeing your pics cannot wait. Just have to wait for a good day to do it. Smooth or light shop will do it.

Dave said...

COASTAL WATERS FROM VOLUSIA BREVARD COUNTY LINE TO SEBASTIAN
INLET OUT 20 NM-
250 PM EDT MON MAY 7 2012

TUESDAY
SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTH IN THE
AFTERNOON. SEAS 3 TO 4 FEET WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD 8 SECONDS. A
LIGHT CHOP ON THE INTRACOASTAL WATERS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

I was thinking Rock Springs Run, tomorrow, my half day for May. Looking at the marine forecast, may be a good Haulover Canal afternoon.

Anonymous said...

We were surrounded by the butterflies when out on the water - a-mazing. Only a total idiot doesn't appreciate stuff like that. I'd scrounge change to enjoy a bite and a beer at JB's, lol. That's like desert after the main course.

Yay, more beautiful pics of my favorite stuff to do. Again, jealous but in a good way - this pushes me.

Joanne said...

Lovely! I'm paddling there on Monday and I definitely will have the crapulous sandwich at JB's and a cold one after.