Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Tomales Bay, Becky and Aaron Day Two

I did manage to go kayaking the day of my niece's wedding. But first, a tour of the grounds of the Best Western, Corte Madera.
Mallards in a pond behind my room.

Easy access to the highway. Most of the wedding party stayed at the Tiburon Lodge.  I delayed, and stayed 6 miles away.

Not one, but two hot tubs.

After the tour, breakfast. Included in the cost of the room. And the paper.
Nothing like a free breakfast to prepare one for kayaking.  Left the hotel at 9:15. Taking the very scenic, as opposed to just scenic route, it took over an hour to get to my destination, Blue Waters Kayak on the Tomales Bay in Inverness, CA. Not FL.
The outfitter suggests avoiding California 1 to get to their location.  I was going to do that, but discovered there are two spots where US 101 and CA 1 merge. I got off on the first one.

I wish I had a passenger to take photos, or had more time. California One winds up and down mountains. Also known as Shoreline Highway, I wondered where the Pacific was.  Around a curve, there it was, far below.
Steep road, sharp turns, I did not want to risk taking a picture and rear ending someone braking in front of me, or worse, going over a cliff.  The highway passes through small towns, passes a water way named Bolinas Lagoon, full of great egrets, just south of the Point Reyes National Seashore. Lots of places to pull off and take photos, but, pressed for time, I have none of the drive.
Here is a Map of the National Seashore. Tomales Bay is the long, narrow finger. The San Andreas fault lies beneath Bay. That causes the landscape on either side of the Fault, North America plate on the east, Pacific plate on the west to have different character.
The first few photos are taken from shore and the dock.  Reservations are recomendeded, and I did not have one.
Continuing where I left off before checking out of the hotel.  At the Oakland Airport, now.
I saw two people in a Ocean 2 kayak landing. I know those can be paddle as a single.  The guy at the shack said he'd see what he could do.

'On the water at 10 past 11.  Paddled north, into a stiff breeze.

Very few wildlife  photos thus trip. If I had  camera attached to the bottom, I might have got a photo or to or three of the many rays I saw. Bigger than Florida sting rays. bat rays  maybe ?
So, here are scenic shoreline photos.
Or not. With over two hours to go before I land, I decide to pay  bucks and download a few more photos. Seems the in flight wifi is not photo compatible.

At home, telling myself it is only 11:30 in Cali as I drink a beer and cook a pizza. And add a few photos.
Not working Monday.


I learned their are osprey in Northern California.  I could hear them, and saw one far off.


Turned back about noon.  After seeing a ray's wing tips break the surface a couple times.  All the others were completely underwater. One bumped the bottom of the kayak. Or vice versa.
Hills on the east side of the bay.



A much quicker return trip with the wind at my back.



I believe this is Tomales Bay State Park. An enclave within the National Seashore.  And now combined with the Seashore to prevent closure or limited hours.  A fate facing many California State Parks due to budget cuts.  And I thought Florida had problems.

Paddled a bit past the landing area, but the wind picked up, so I landed.

Short of two hours. $50 for 2 hours. That price does include a wetsuit. I declined.  Wonder if they have one to fit a fat man.  The PFD was very snug. I did not paddle far enough to see seals or long enough to see Tule elk. NoCal would be a great place to live if not for being over crowed and over priced.  Good thing I have family who have been saying I should visit for years  I may have to accept the offer some day

The less scenic route back still took me through a State Park with redwood trees.
 Not there yet.

Samuel P. Taylor State Park.


As I was looking for a fast food joint to grab a bite to eat, I thought of a Florida comparison.  Marin County is Sanibel on steroids.  I did not have time to stop at a nice local place for oysters or whatever.  Fortunately, the Chevron across from my hotel had Johnsonville Brats on the rollers. Something to tide me over until the reception. Which,along with the ceremony, was in a town called Nicasio.

A bus ran from Tiburon,\ As I was not staying in Tiburon, and thought it made no sense to drive there, park, then drive from there after the party, I drove. Beat the bus.   Now, long awaited wedding photos.

Bride's family. Abby, Anne, Becky and Chris.  Aaron's step-Dad, Rick, on the left.

Aaron and his Mom, Susie.
Guests begin to arrive. Nephew Jack, niece Megan, nephew Tyler, sister-in-law Jackie. I  don't know the other couple. I'm sure they are very nice.
The Queen arrives.  Pushing Grandma.  Niece Anna, nephew Derek, aviator shades, cousin Charlie, grey suit, Jim B.
The lawn at Rancho Nicasio

I need to ask Chris if he has had sidebar conferences with the judge before.  Left background.  I assume he was a judge.
Speaking of judges, the guy in the blue tie is a son of a long time Milwaukee jurist.  I bet Chris and Rob have known each other since first grade.  I met his brother in my first grade class. I asked how Steve was doing "Still playing Frisbee"  Rob is aWine maker

Time to get the couple under the chuppah.
The harpist Carlos Reyes has known Aaron's Mom since she was 10.  Fantastic musician.

Aaron and his parents.

Becky with hers.

  Its   done

Now its party time!'
Who knew Grammy's wheelchair could be so much fun.  Great nephew Phineas, hands up, Cousin Charlie's daughter, Kiernan, pushing Jack, who you've met. And Anna, ditto.

  Let's eat!

Phin knows Jack is still there, as cousin, Olivia  heads to the table.
Phin, on Evan, my nephew, his Dad's, knee, joined us.
Jack tells Olivia to give him 20.  Not sure if she can count past 5.
 I have a great video of the party, but its taking too long to download.  So, I signed up for Youtube. Here it is http://youtu.be/teXRscfhgd4
Dancing
 
Very good band. Lead by Carlos Reyes on violin. Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, saxophone, male and female vocalists.  I like that they played "We Are Family" early so I could get the dancing obligations with all my sisters done in one song.

A brief video  


Becky's Aunt Eileen told me Becky asked for the cheesehead.  It, and a variety of other lids, were placed on all the animal heads in the bar area.  Becky likes her animals living, so an attempt as made to cover them up.

And that tops off the Tale of Becky and Aaron's wedding.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Sanibel on steroids! You are too funny. Sanibel and Pt. Reyes National Seashore are two of my very favorite places on earth, although I've only hiked, never paddled, at Pt. Reyes. Before my paddling days.

Just to whet your appetite for Florida waters again, my friends Susie and Roger saw a mama bear and cub, as well as otters, at Alexander Creek on Friday---between the park and the bridge.