Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Blackwater Creek, Seminole State Forest

A short paddle from 8:15 to 10:15.




Tree down, twenty minutes down Creek from the Bridge.  I emailed the photo to the Forest Service folks, and told them about another blockage, matted plants further downstream that a fellow kayaker/blogger experienced.

Likely the same anhinga.
Eastern tiger swallowtail.

There are probably alligators under water in all these photos.  I saw several, but only briefly. Always fun to paddle over the wake made by a fleeing gator.

The fisherman who was at the launch when I arrived was gone when I paddled past.


My favorite campsite.

Reached this up Creek barrier at 9:37. The Creek is not kept clear up stream of the Moccasin Springs campsite.  Unless you do it yourself.


The only one, and only part of one, of the 15-20 alligators I saw, that I got a picture of.  Gators were not the only animals I saw, but did not capture on film. Or, rather, digital.  The always skittish wood ducks.   But, blue herons, great blue herons, and a yellow crowned night heron also proved elusive.
Approaching the landing at 10:13.  Thanks to Joanne B. for providing a Forest pass.

 Frequent readers know there are 2 places I paddle midweek.  Rock Springs Run and the Winter Park/Maitland Chain of Lakes.  RSR,  where I can swim in Wekiwa Springs, washing off some of the sweat and grime before work.  Chain of Lakes, close enough to home to return to shower.  My plan today was to use some of the rinse off the kayak water to pour over me. Had soap, wash cloth, and towel.  But, due to the barricades, I finished paddling earlier than planned and had time to go home, shower, and download the first few photos.

No comments: