Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Lakes Maitland Nina and Minnehaha

A short paddle on the local lakes this morning. Dark skies. Has not rained. Yet.
Underway at 8:43.







 Despite recent rain, water level is still low.  I got stuck at both ends of the Horatio Ave Bridge.  Just beyond the covered bridge.
Green heron welcomed me to Lake Minehaha.


Two growing limpkins. Fueled by clams. See the empty shells?



Limpkin family.










One of four osprey that soared and screeched overhead.












On the way back, I choose a better line and did not run aground.


And another red shouldered hawk



Osprey nest
Landed at 10:22.  Early, to beat the rain.  Illegal parking paddle board chick, whose SUV was in its usual spot when I arrived, was gone.

Rain started in the afternoon.  A lot of rain today, Thursday.Forecast 60% for the weekend. So, I'm going to Indianapolis 0% rain forecast. 

Indianapolis? you ask. Yes, Indianapolis. The annual gathering of a group that attended, and most graduated from, the University of Wisconsin in the late 70's, early 80's.  One of the gang is in a Strongman event,  and we will cheer him on as he lifts heavy stones and light automobiles in the Hoosier Strength Challenge.

I do see there is  State Park in Indy with a 19th century canal and kayak rentals.  We'll see if I can maintain my streak of paddling every weekend since October 18-19, 2008, when I attended the wedding of one of Badger alumni.

1 comment:

Luis said...

Have a good one at Indy. Hope the streak stays alive.