Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Silver River and Juniper Springs

There is a low pressure system in the Gulf of Mexico.  And, as I want to be sure the world wide Dave's Yak Tale audience is up to date, I just peeked at Weather.com, and it is now Tropical Storm Debby.  What it meant for me was, 60-80% chance of rain from Sarasota on the Gulf, to Jupiter, in south Florida on the Atlantic, to St. Augustine in north Florida.  I went to bed thinking I'd go someplace close, finish before the rain, and if I got soaked, I'd have a short drive.

As often happens, I changed my mind.  Rain, I thought, would keep the crowds down on Juniper Creek.  A stream I haven't paddled since last summer.  So, off to the Ocala National Forest.  As also often happens on Saturday, I woke up early.  Arrived at the Juniper Springs Recreation Area at 7:35.  It does not open until 8.  A car and trailer with at least 5 kayaks was in front of me.  I could wait here, or drive  20 miles west to the Silver River and probably be on the water earlier than if I waited here, paid for the haul back, wheeled the kayak to the launch site, and so on.
In the canal leading from Rays Wayside to the Silver River at 10 past 8.
Great egret down River from the canal mouth.  I headed up River, towards Silver Springs.




Wood duck in the lily pads.




First alligator of the day.  I'll let the ibis get out of the way.



Down on the beak. This cormorant had been grooming.
I don't remember if I noticed the alligator when I took this picture.

Moorhen


Two pics of the same gator.  I think I know why its smiling.
Tasty wood ducks nearby


 I don't think I've seen this pontoon boat before.  I told the captain I wish I was in the sixth grade, so I could go on a field trip.  She replied it is Marion County fifth graders who go out on the boat.  Today, it was going to be used for a special event.  I did not ask what the event was.


Until I passed the Silver River State Park landing, I had only seen one boat.  A Florida Department of Law Enforcement boat.   Nice to see, but I thought a better use of my tax dollars would be to have it on the water, later, to monitor the monkey feeders and wake makers.






Paddling up River, on the right side as I usually do.  I check out the other side on the way down.  Or if I sees something interesting.  Anyway, I was in the Silver Springs attraction area, past the cove with the cracker homestead where tour boats go,  when there was a bump, a wide open alligator's jaws just behind my right elbow, and me saying, "Holy Something!" as it bumped the kayak and slid back into the River.

Did I hit it? Did it attack me, unprovoked? Don't know. Happened in a flash.  All I know I was looking down its throat. A five footer, maybe.  First time it has happened.   I was going to look at the kayak for teeth marks when I landed, but forgot.  I'll let you know tomorrow.  I think it just bumped me. 

I have witnesses. They heard me, but as my kayak blocked the gator from there view, they did not see it.

The lead paddler in the group saw monkeys, on the other side of the River. I saw trees moving, and a glimpse of one.  The only one I saw all day. Making 3 straight Silver River excursions with no monkey photos to share with my Talegators.

A crowd at the head spring when I arrived at 10:15

I should have known this event was going on.  Facebook friends have posted links regarding a plan for a cattle operation to take as much water from the Florida Aquifer as the City of Ocala.   And cows pooping back in.  But hey, it will provide 150 jobs.  What I find interesting is folks on both ends of the political spectrum, from tree hugging lefties, to tea party types, think this is a bad idea.  Perhaps my right wing friends are more Roosevelt (Teddy) Republicans,  than tea partiers.
I heard someone say "Dave?", but being such a common name, figured she was talking to some one else.
I began the down River drift/paddle.



I was the Dave who had been called from the Spring.  Phyliss M-C paddled down stream to say hi.
She said Governor Graham was on his way up the River.  That had to be the "special event" on the pontoon boat.  For you non-Floridians, that would be former Florida Governor, Bob Graham.
Mr. Graham's group headed to the head Spring.  Nice to have the former Governor and Senator on the correct side of the water issue.  He can bring national attention, as shown by this nytimes article.  Thanks to Diane L., for the link.

Back in April, cormorants were raising chicks on a little island just down  stream of the main spring.
Today, blue herons.


I can't recall seeing blue heron chicks before. At least not so many. There were at least half a dozen active nests.  Its neat how two species, cormorants and blue herons share the same rookery.  I wonder if the herons were using the cormorant's nests.


There are several springs, seven? in the first quarter mile or so of the Silver River.  That is why I have been saying "main" and "head" spring. Here is one of the other springs.



Governor Graham, white shirt, grey hair, hand on rail.  He is a Democrat.  A Republican, Lee Constantine, a former state senator, was also at the event.  Mr. Constantine always struck me as being reasonable, but has been term limited.  Too bad no current politicansGainesville Sun about the event
I told the Fish and Wildlife officers I wish politicians were on the River every day.



No humans were harmed during the alligator photography.



Eastern black swallowtail

Nap time
Sorry to wake you up











It turned out to be a beautiful day.  Sun came out, but not to hot.






Another tiger swallowtail




Coming down the River, I saw a photographer focused on something. Monkey?  No, just a yellow crowned night heron.

Which does make a good subject.  Before I began kayaking, I never knew these existed.






Back to the canal, 12:55.  I kept going.  If you are going to paddle the Silver River, may as well do the whole thing.  Plus, I was looking for monkeys.
Anhinga
Turtles
Turned around here, Ocklawaha River.
Not to far down stream from the confluence.



Ocklawaha River continues on the left, Silver River on the right.




I got to the canal and kept going up River,  hoping  for that elusive monkey. Or, maybe, a deer.
Nope, just my nemesis.  Or is that nemesi?  Alligators.  The view when I turned back, 1:39 according to the time stamp.







Landed at 2:20.   50 minutes later, ready for a dip in Juniper Springs.

I took this pic inside the spring pool.
Saw a few minnows, no other fish. Juniper Springs is the only place where I have seen an eel.  Of the four spring based recreation areas in the Ocala National Forest,   Alexander, Salt Springs, Silver Glen, and Juniper, I think Juniper is the least impressive.  The Springs, that is. 

I like the historic mill house, which is reopened after being closed for a few years.






I like the stone bridge, which was functional when I first visited the area.

I like the Nature Trail. The big signs are new. At least to me.

The launch. Juniper Run looks low.

I've wondered what eggs are apple snail, the preferred diet of limpkins. Now I know. Pink eggs.

Fern Springs Run
I do not like illiterate rednecks.  No entry is allowed in Fern Hammock Springs. Several signs admonish against swimming, fishing, and wading.  Nothing about kayaking.  As I've written before, there was a time or two I kayaked to the Spring.  Much to the surprise of Park workers.  On my next visit, there was a rope and orange buoy across the entrance to the Run.  Still no sign.  I could be the last person to enter the Springs without violating the rules. 



If there is a more beautiful spot in Florida, I haven't found it.
Spring boil   I lost a pair of sunglasses peering over the bridge at the boil.   That's when the authorities learned I'd been in the Springs.  It was suggested I kayak in, and use a trash picker to get the glasses. I said, "No problem, I've kayaked in before"

  Back to Juniper Springs.
More ignorant people. Rojo necks.

I like the "Intentionally Wading"   Many people, including me, tip over and have to wade to get back in the canoe or kayak on Juniper Creek. 
I thought of launching, paddling for a hour and coming back.  My arms were sore, but I had not seen any deer.  I decided to walk to the car, see how far it was and how I felt.
I let a kid, noisily running in flip flops, pass me.  Thanks kid.
I may not have seen the deer had I not stopped.

When the kid came back, I pointed the young buck out to him.

I did not put the kayak in, and so ends Saturday's Tale.
Postscript. Just viewed a video of Governor Graham's speech at Silver River State Park.
10 minutes long, but worth a listen    I learned the former Governor was not the only prominent Floridan on the pontoon boat.  I had thought a white bearded gentleman look familiar.  It was photographer extraordinaire, Clyde butcher

6 comments:

Luis said...

I am keeping this bumping incident to myself. Am afraid if wifey knows about it will never go back to the water. Glad you came OK out of it.

Joanne said...

I'm sure I told you about the gator who plonked her head right on the combing of my cockpit one day on Lake Howell. I shoved her off with my paddle. And one day on Alexander Creek a gator bit my friend Gary's kayak. Left holes; we patched with duct tape which I had along.

So welcome to a very exclusive club.

Now if a dolphin whacks your kayak and throws a wave of water over your head, you'll be even with me on weird and wonderful things happening.

Although--my kayak has never taken a ride on a manatee's back, so I guess we're still tied ;^)

Dave said...

Luis, look at the bright side. Tell wifey I still have all my fingers.

Joanne, if you mentioned the Lake Howell incident, I forgot. I do recall the Alexander alligator. May have seen a photo of the punctured kayak.

You did tell me about the attack dolphin.

Eric said...

Awesome post, Dave. The gators must have been out in full effect everywhere today. The Wekiva was full of them, though none got quite as close as your friend did.

Funny - we planned on going up to the Silver River this weekend, but the storm kept us more local.

We're going to run into each other on the water one of these days!

-Eric (yakchronicle.com)

Octohawk said...

Ohh boy.. If I saw people swimming in Fern Hammock right by all the signs, I don't think I could have let it go. It probably would have been about the same as when I saw someone at Bethune Park in the water, holding a manatee's tail up for a photo, right next to all the signs about touching manatees and swimming. Which is to say I would have gone absolutely apeshit (pardon the language). My favorite line during the manatee debacle was "mind you own business", to which my reply was of course "I'm a Floridian, this is my business."

Dave said...

Give 'em hell Katie!

My line is, "Looks like another person failed the reading portion of the FCAT" That got the waders in Juniper Run out.