Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, June 10, 2012

White River Canal, Indianapolis

I thought I heard Saturday night we were meeting in Westin lobby at 9.  I was there before 9. Never saw anyone. Mark,Steve R., and Kevin all had flights around 11.  Steve O., Jan and Tom were driving home.  My flight wasn't until 4.  At 9:50, I said, bleep it, I'm going kayaking.



In the Canal at 10:05.  There must not be a life jacket law in Indiana.  I asked where they were.  "Its only 3-4 feet deep.  In that bin"  I put one on.  Looked how to get in the water.  A bit of a drop from the concrete walkway.  The worker lined up the kayak perpendicular to the Canal, facing backwards, and lowered me down.  The stiff back to the seat came in handy.
I headed south.



NCAA headquarters.




The Canal "ends" at White River State Park.  When I got back to the concession, I asked if they minded if people portage and go into the White River.  The worker said it was not a problem. The owner might have a different opinion.  Not knowing how far to the River, and having to get back to the hotel to check out, I turned around.








I read that the above steam powered clock plays "Back Home In Indiana"  On the hour, I suppose, I did not hear it either time I paddled past.

The city of Indy has done a great job with the Canal. Several parks and museums are nearby, including the Medal of Honor Memorial, above and below.

The Eiteljorg is a museum of American Indian and Western Art.

Bridges are the canvas for additional art.

A view of the high back rests.  I had passed the rental shop.  Soon passed these guys, and another, older couple, I assume the parents.






Canal end.
Some bridges have informative displays.
U.S.S. Indianapolis Memorial



Walkers and bikers came out to enjoy the warm morning on the Canal
.

Indiana Historical Society




As I approached the rental shop, I wished I had a swimsuit on.  Wet butt from paddle drip accumulation.

Landed, or rather was pulled up on the sidewalk, at 11:15.  Just over an hour.  No alligators or manatees, but a nice way to explore downtown Indy. Worth the 10 bucks. I think I tipped a buck and some change.  My kayaking streak continues. Every weekend since mid October, 2008. 

Some shameful history. 

I had never thought "buffalo" when Indiana came up. But there one is, on the State Seal.


The traditional room pic.  How I was the only guy not to share, I have no idea.  I'd never stay in a Westin if I was picking a spot.  159 a night and no fridge or microwave?  Please.

I wonder what rooms with a view of the Capitol cost.

  It did have a hair dryer which I used to try to dry my wet shorts and underwear.  Too wet, so had to put on used ones. Hopefully, my plane would not crash.  I checked out at noon, gave my luggage to the valet, surprised they don't charge for that, and headed to the Soldiers and Sailors Monument.
 I went inside, saw a sign $2.00 to go to the top, and thought, what the heck. Got a ticket, then saw its free to walk up.  Since I paid, and was in sandals, I took the small elevator.
It does not go all the way, had to climb a few steps.


Capitol closeup
The Monument is 285 feet high, 5 feet shorter than the Statute of Liberty

Narrow staircase.
I reboarded the elevator.

I told the ladies at the counter the elevator ride is, for the price, better than Disneyworld.

The dedication was in 1902.
William Henry Harrison aka Tippecanoe



The monument is quite impressive.  To top it off, I heard sceeching.  Over whelmed a bit by church bells, but some raptor was near by.  I looked up. 
From the mask I was thinking osprey.  But they like to be near water.  I did a little research and learned it is a peregrine falcon

Buildings in the Monument Circle area.



I went inside one for lunch.
 Rock Bottom Brewery
Steve R. said it best. "Indianapolis may not be a place you plan to visit, but once there, its pretty nice"

I went back to the hotel, called a cab and got to the airport.  A late arrival in back home.  Thunderstorms at the airport had the flight diverted to  West Palm Beach to wait it out.  Did not get home until well past 1 am.

4 comments:

Brenda M said...

A different sort of paddle for you, Master Dave, but qualifies as "on the water" time nonetheless.

As a ponderance, just how many miles do you guess you've clocked up with a paddle over the years?...

Luis said...

And the streak stays alive!!!!

Dave said...

Brenda, a lot. A rough guess, 380 weeks from mid March 2005 to today. 20 miles a week, 7600 miles.
Enough to put holes in two kayaks.

Brenda M said...

Hats off to you, traveler! That's quite an accomplishment and sets the bar pretty high for the rest of us pilgrims. :)