Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Blackwater Creek, Seminole State Forest, Wekiva River

The deer need one more kayak. This is towards the end of the day, before landing at Katie's Landing, the second paddle of the day. First was on Blackwater Creek, in the Seminole State Forest

Underway at 9 am

Easy enough to duck under this log.

This blockage has stymied me for the last 3 weeks or so. I turned around.   I knew it had not been cleared.  On the way in, two gentlemen were headed out.  I asked about the barrier, they said it was still there.  They also told me they were going up to Lake Norris and paddling down the Creek. Or rather paddling and portaging, as  Blackwater Creek is full of downed trees.  Last year, it took them 15 hours to make the journey.  I wished them luck.  At the launch, I looked at the permit on the one car present.  I assume it was the takeout vehicle, they had two kayaks on the other car.  "Jay Exum"  The named seem familiar.  I searched it.  Dr. Exum is the President of the Friends of the Wekiva River.






Up Creek blockage

Moccasin Springs campsite


Landed at 11:00.  Got on the bike.






Sharks Tooth Spring
Back to the car at 12:40.

On the Wekiva, from Katie's Landing, at 1:30.

As I set out, I thought, "I want to see alligators, manatees, and deer"

I was chatting with a fisherman when a manatee swam under his line and our boats.  I followed it up River for a while.

The manatee is barely visible, below the water greens.  It disappeared after two power boats, who did slow down at my request, passed by.

 Mission accomplished, I turned back at 2:30. Not before a brief Deer video
Copying "Where's Waldo?"   "Where's Warbler?"

I saw the, or maybe a different manatee.  It appeared smaller.  I noticed the vegetation moving, the same greenery where I saw it earlier. Moving because a manatee as feeding.   I positioned my self next to it, tried an underwater photo. It did not turn out.

I came around the island up River of Wekiva Haven, and on someones lawn, a deer.


Not one, but three deer.

A few houses down, turkeys.


A bummer for this kid, on the River with his girlfriend when his boat died.  Had to call his dad and wait for him to come with tools.  They got it started. Then again, kids these days have it so easy.  When I was that age, I would have had to walk to a phone booth.

Just a couple birds in the area across from the launch on a warm, 94 at Orlando International, afternoon.  Doubt it was that warm on the spring fed Wekiva, with trees providing natural air conditioning.  Landed at 3:40.

New sign at Katie's Landing

No comments: