Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, July 2, 2012

Cedar Key Sunday, July 1

A quick, one night visit to Cedar Key.  View from the balcony, below, 6:28 am
Began the traditional morning walk just before 7:30




The mammoth fishing dock is good pelican hangout.
Looking out at Atsenia Otie

Fresh water tankers across from the volunter fire department.


Four blocks from Gulf to bayou


The Narure's Landing Nature Trail. The old rail right of way.


After a 45 minute walk, a young man needs a good breakfast.  This old man had steak, potatoes, onion, and cheddar

I checked out, and was on the water at 10 after 10

I wanted to paddle to Seahorse Key.
But it was too windy and choppy for an enjoyable trip across 2.5- 3 miles of open water.
So, thanks to a high tide, I paddle through Atsenia Otie.



Seahorse Key
Cedar Key water tower

Paddling back to Cedar Key.

Into the wind protected, Number 2 channel

Where almost the entire sunken ship was underwater.  Time to look for spoonbills. And,as I write 3 days later, time to go to Fort De Soto for manatees and sunset.

No manatees. The sun did set. Lots of fireworks on the drive back to the condo. And from the balcony
Still going off as I sit inside, looking out from 4 stories up. But now, back to Cedar Key.

I must have, but I cannot remember seeing flowers on mangroves before.  So, of course, I saw some today, July 4, at Fort De Soto, too.
The spoonbill search was proving unsuccessful, until one flew  overhead.  I followed.



On Saturday, I wound up back in the Gulf after paddling past the shipwreck.  Sunday, paddled the innards of Way Key, heading towards the Number 3 (of 4) Bridge.  Remember, Cedar Key is the town on Way Key, one of the Cedar Keys.



I asked a gentleman fishing from the dock of my favorite house it is as fun as it looks. Yes, he was a return renter.  If I could find 7 friends, the cost would be less then $90 a night for a 2 night stay
I took  a break across the low island dotted channel, at Cemetery Point Park.
A chance to stertch my legs.



Nice to have a place out of the sun to enjoy my steak sandwich.

For serious stretching, there is  short fitness course.  Don't think it gets much use.  Stations are a bit overgrown.  Could be another result of Debby, but fishing is the main activity here.  I was back on the water at 1:12

Another boat turning into an oyster bar.
Kayaking past the graveyard

Filleting the day's catch

Approaching the Number 2 bridge
Second photo of the day of this dock. First, from the street, during my morning stroll.

Clam farmer tractors
Hitch hiker
This multi level structure has something to no with clamming.  Not sure if they are raised here, or cleaned, or what the deal is.
I did not get out to Seahorse Key and the lighthouse, but at least I saw a boat that heads that way.
And  a magnificent frigate bird
Tide beginning to go out as marked by my measuring ship.

 Landed at 2:25. I had the best parking spot at the City Beach.  Someone was leaving when I arrived in the morning. Next to the 15 minute spot for kayak launching. I put the kayak on the car and took the bike off.



I'm  in no hurry to get to one, but the Cedar Key Cemetery is  beautiful spot.


You saw this before. From the water.

From the Cemetery and Cemetery Point Park to the airfield.
Taxing plane.  Turned to face the wind.





I have to correct something I wrote on my Memorial Day Weekend visit to Cedar Key. "Flying Old Glory in Cedar Key is not a holiday thing, its a 365 day thing."  I was wrong.  The flags were not yet out for Independence Day.
Back to the car at 3:50.  I took advantage of the outdoor shower at City Park Beach, changed in the restroom.   Thought about stopping here
Robinson's is about  miles out of town. They must get to Dock Street early to park the car with the advertising sign.  But, a car and boat trailer were blocking me from getting out, so I walked over to Dock Street.
Went to a new place, for me, Steamers.  Enticed by a pound of clams for 7.99

Of course, most of the weight is the shells.

Deck views

Down the staircase.
On the road.

Across the Number 4 Bridge.  Mainland ahead, old bridge, now a fishing pier, on the right.
I'll be back soon.

No comments: