Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Gum Slough and Ozello

Last night, as I did my usual  Friday night routine of researching my intended Saturday kayaking spot, an exercise that often leads me going somewhere entirely different than from what first popped in my head.  I was on the Adventure Outpost website, as I they run tours of Gum Slough.   A potential ally in the Protect Gum Slough effort.  Apologies to those who aren't on Facebook, and can't see it.  As far those of you who are, come on. "Like" it.  As more people join,  we can show the State of Florida, Citrus County, Marion County, Sumter County, and the Southwest Florida Water Management District that paddlers vastly outnumber air boaters.   As I was saying, I was on the Adventure Outpost website, and they are visiting Gum Slough tomorrow, Sunday.  Searching for trip reports, I came across Ozello  A place I had not kayaked.  I read more about it.  A 9 mile, scenic, twisty road to get there, no crowds.  Sounds like my type of place.  But, after starting the effort to get air boats off Gum Slough, I needed to go there.   Launches for Gum Slough and Ozello are both in Citrus County.  Why not do both?
Into the Withlacoochee River at 6:55.   On what turned out to be  so-so day for wildlife, I think I saw more on the short stretch of the With from the boat ramp to Gum Slough than I saw the rest of the y.

Poor photos, I know, but they're all I got in the light of dawn.  That's a limpkin, above.
Black bellied whistling ducks.
Red shouldered hawk.


My campsite from New Years at Potts Preserve   The last time I visited Gum Slough.
Indian mound.  And modern vandalism. Picnic table  does not belong there.  The mouth of Gum Slough is across the Withlacooche from the shell mound.
Posts from a logging tram across Gum Slough

As already mentioned, little wildlife observed.  Belted kingfisher and wild hog.  No photos.
The one home on the Slough.  I consider it the halfway point.  Paddled past at 8:30.





I paddled over two springs in the Slough, Gum 2, and 3, I believe. I noticed an area on the right, here it is, or rather was possible to get out of the kayak, is almost completely under water.  Also below the surface, all but one, that I saw, of the limestone that was very evident on my last few visits.  Water level as high enough that I could paddle into Gum Spring 1.

I have misidentified this spring as Alligator Springs on past Tales.  Remember, use this site at your own risk.  I thought of taking a dip, but there was a horrendous buzzing sound.  No, not air boats.  Mosquitoes.   Lots of  mosquitoes.   Taking off my shirt to swim did not seem like  good idea.
This is as far as I can paddle up Gum Slough.  Alligators Spring is somewhere beyond,  its run,  a mystery.  At least to me.  I was in the Gum 1 pool at 9:20.  Which means the house is more than half way.
Leaving Gum 1
There are 2, or is it 3?  houses on Gum Main Spring.  I did the hold the camera underwater thing again, but the pics aren't worthy.  Yes, even for this Tale.
Back down Slough.

Underwater view at one of the down Slough springs.



A fellow kayaker who was here last week reported that  in  few spots the Slough was almost blocked by vegetation.  She was right.  On the way up, I took an even more overgrown channel.


Approaching the house.  A little bit later, six kayakers, coming up stream.  "How much farther to the springs"    "You're not even half way"  That disappointed them.  But, as it turns out, they were more than half way. 




Other than the group of kayakers, just one more boat on Gum Slough this morning. A couple fishing, at the logging tram.

Return to the Withlacochee, 11:55.
Shell mound at Potts Preserve.
No air boats, just a lone motor boat on the Withlacochee.
Approaching the landing, 12:20.  An hour later, on the way to Ozello, for Part II of the day.
A thirty mile drive, the last 9, from U.S. 19 just south of Crystal River, the best part.



"Go west until your head floats"  The road turns into a boat ramp.  Ample parking, unpaved, a lone picnic table and trash can.  Ample signage.




Underway, just before 2 PM
Always good to have a landmark.  Lots of islands, lots of water.
I prefer a more natural landmark.  A palm studded island among the mangroves.



I tried to make sure I was never more than two turns from the palm island or the power plant.  One, okay, this one, could easily get turned around in the island puzzle.


Ozello makes Cedar Key look like Miami
The ramp. AKA end of Citrus County Road 494



I was out for about 90 minutes.  I'll be back.  Maybe in the fall or winter,  with more birds and an early sunset
Next to the ramp is the site of an old hotel.  The land owner wants put condos, and more, on the site.
I took a photo of a couple, who returned the favor.
 I need to eat better and exercise to lose the boobs.  I think I'll just buy looser shirts.
On the road.
But not for long.
Had to stop at this place.

I never knew blue crabs were cannibals.

Same view, but from inside the restaurant.
Looking out another window from my table.   Menu, please.

# 22, or 23?  I choose 22.

Had to pan back to get it all in.
So much for improving my diet.
I asked my waitress why every item is priced $x.93.  Because it is 9.3 miles from Highway 19.
Views from the parking lot.
On the road, this time for good.



Mile markers, just like those other keys.  But these keys do not have a commonly accepted name.  I've seen them referred to the Suncoast Keys, St. Martins Keys, Crystal River Keys and Ozello Keys.


A fine day, despite little wild life.  Despite the front cross bar partly coming off as I drove on Highway 44 to the Turnpike.  Some nice scratches above the door and a nice gouge in the roof.  My fault, the towers, the things that connect the rack to the roof, are out of kilter from falling from two stacked kayaks to the garage floor.

Remember, vist Protect Gum Slough   Spread the word.

3 comments:

Luis said...

I think I signed for the Gum Slough Facebook page but cannot see if I did. Can you tell me?

Dave said...

You did Luis, thanks. As did Grecia, same last name. A relative, I presume?

Luis said...

Daughter. My little princess.