Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Rock Springs Run

I need to do these weekday Wekiva morning paddles more often.  Arose early enough to get to Wekiwa Springs State Park this morning.  To my surprise, two vehicles pulled up as why was unloading the yak.  More people with after hours passes?  Nope, the Central_Florida_Freshwater_Turtle_Research_Group. is back for their annual study.
I was under way at 8:54.
Turtle research boat.  They must have special permission to have a motor on the Wekiva as motors are not allowed up stream of the confluence with Rock Springs Run. 

Little gators have been on this log since February
Turtle trap.
Maturing blue heron
Sunlight through the trees on the Wekiva.
Great egret, Rock Springs Run.
Saw two bucks. Not the one in the opening photo, but also with impressive racks. Both ran off before I could photo them.
I did get a very short video of one. Don't blink.
They were not together, but pretty close. Can they be the same pair I've seen the last couple years?

I could hear another deer wadding, but did not see it..
Fourth time was the charm. Young buck.
And there he goes.

My turtle research.
Deer number five of the morning.

I do not have a watch, so was guesstimating on time.  I figured I could paddle to the tram crossing between Indian Mound camp and Big Buck camp.  After I took the above pic, I viewed it on the camera. Oh, a time stamp. 9:30, not quite to the tram posts, but time to turn back.




Missed another deer, as a buck ducked behind this log.  A growing rack.  Nothing like the one on the buck it was following.

The one that opens this Tale.

I'm pretty sure this is the same young buck I saw on the way up.





Turtle research on the Wekiva.  Next time you are on the Wekiva.  The snorkelers are looking for turtles.  The canoers, looking for alligators.  At least that's what I would want if I was in the water.  A snorkeler picked up a can from the River bed, placed it in a canoe.  "Double duty, research and clean up. Thanks"  I  asked how the population compared to previous years.  "Ask name forgotten, up ahead"
Having no idea who that was, I did not ask anyone.  Paddling past a canoe, I heard, "Dave". It was Octohawk a person who whose attitude I admire and I'm sure you will too.  If you are not already a fan of her blog.  It was a pleasure to meet her.


I landed at 10:50. To a crowded, for mid week, Wekiwa Springs State Park.  Ah, summer vacation.  A brief cool off in the Springs. Too crowded for any decent photos.

At the beginning of this Tale I wrote I need to do these Wekiwa Wednesdays more often.  More so, because at the end of September my work place is moving.  It will be a 15 to 30 minute longer drive.  Guess I'll have to wake up earlier.

Protect Gum Slough is up to 40"Likes"  You need to be next. My effort to get air boats off  this scenic stream.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Magnificent buck! I think Pam and I saw him a couple of weeks ago, Bear Alley, but he was too far back in the forest to get a picture. He was very large, and already had that multi-point velvet rack.

Luis said...

Awesome buck's pics.

Dave said...

The big fella wasn't too far down stream from Otter, abut q third of the way to the S turns.