Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Canaveral National Seashore, Mosquito Lagoon

I cheated. The opening photo was not taken from the kayak.  From the launch area after I landed after a short paddle in the Mosquito Lagoon. Cut short by wind.
At the Seashore entrance, I asked about getting an Annual Pass.  Which, according to this http://www.fws.gov/merrittisland/EntranceFees.pdf  is 20 dollars. The 15 dollar Duck Stamp price taken of the $35 Pass cost.  I was told that only applies during duck hunting season.  Hmmm, that's not what the link states.  It is a proposal, so maybe it was changed.  On the way out, I went into the Visitor Center, asked again. Same answer. Neither person asked, nor did I think of asking, about the cost with a Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge Pass, which I also have.  I just sent an email to the Seashore for clarifiacation.  I'll let you know what the answer is. Should I get one.

On the Lagoon at 9:35.  Strong north breeze. I paddled into it.  Two kayak anglers were on the water.  Headed to the same area I was.  The old dock pilings between the launch site and the Eldora dock.   A manatee hangout.  And, good structure for fish.  Not wanting to bother the fisherfolk, I paddled on.


An area behind islands provided shelter from the wind.  I went to a little cove that manatees frequent, empty.  Saw a few green herons and several great egrets.

And brown pelicans
Don't know what was splashing here, the great egret took off from the trees.  Probably mullet.
If you use your magnifying glass, you  may see a dorsal fin.   I tried, but failed, to get a good pic of a dolphin off Castle Windy.  Which lived up to the second half of its name.
Caste Windy is a shell mound. Perhaps the "Castle" part refers to mound's height..  I followed the dolphin a bit past it, the turned around.  A manatee popped its head up.
Saw more great egrets,  and a snowy. Near the unknown bird, above.
Eldora State House
The anglers were in the same spot.  A good one, as a boat house blocks the wind.  I asked if there were sheepshead in the pilings. No, today it was mangrove snapper.  The gentleman said they saw manatees.  I paddled a little ways past the launch site and saw three or four manatees.
Landed at 11:30.  Just two hours.  As I put the yak on the roof I heard, then saw a splash through the gap in the mangroves where you launch the kayak.



Manatees, just off shore.





Some times you do not have to be in the kayak. But, you do need to go kayaking.


Views from the top of Turtle Mound.



Banana spider has a nice view.

My last visit, there was what appeared to be an archaeological dig here.   Today, branches laid over to cover it up.

Good day to be a spider.
Beetle, not so much.




New sign
I brought the trail bike for a beach ride.  Did not seem as windy on Atlantic side as it had been on the Lagoon side.
But, the flat, hard part of the beach was underwater.
So, I just took pictures from the dune crossover.

12:30. Lunch time.  And I had not been to J.B.'s Fishcamp since February.
As usual, I sat at my favorite spot.  Inside, with a view.

At the bar.
The picture is not blurry.  Time to stop drinking.  I had a rum and coke.
Oyster stew.  A surprise in the hush puppies.
Peppers
Rock shrimp.
Lunch was 30 bucks.  Which is why I don't stop here after every Canaveral National Seashore trip.



Rental kayaks are well taken care of.

15 comments:

Robbie said...

I was just thinking about taking my kayak out to Mosquito Lagoon this morning, but was afraid I would get rained out. I guess I missed out on the manatees. You took some great photos today.

Joanne said...

Big spender. My favorite at JB's is a cold beer and a crabulous sandwich. Much less than $30 and yummy.

Luis said...

Nice post Master Dave. For some reason I am interested in the food part of it. Have been near that place before, never went in. Next time I will.

And you are right on the money...sometimes you do not have to be in a kayak, but have to go kayaking (or at least try to go kayaking)

Dave said...

Thanks Robbie. Speaking of food, that's a nice pig on your blog.

Joannne, it was a toss up between the crabulous and the rock shrimp. Plus the stew. And, I like a cocktail when I go out. Don't keep liquor at home. To tempting.

Luis, was even the Canal itself to windy?

Joanne said...

Today's Sentinel has a disturbing article about the algae bloom in Indian River, especially Mosquito Lagoon, threatening all life in that water. It still looks awfully murky, as it did a couple of weeks ago when I was there. Did you see any dead fish or decaying vegetation?

Luis said...

It looked incredibly murky.Current was from West to East and the breeze was not that strong but continuous.

Did not see any dead fish but we were not there too long.

I thought the conditions at the canal were a result of all the heavy rains and storms in the area for the last week. But I have been wrong before.

Dave said...

Like Luis, I thought the brown color was from runoff. But, I had never seen it this color before. I did not see any dead fish of decaying vegetation. But, the wind and waves could have pushed any decay to the north.

Joanne said...

I was there July 31---this is what I posted on FB after someone asked about the nasty looking water:
I emailed the Chief of Interpretation Services at the Seashore. Her reply: Because of the heat and the high temps in the lagoon, we are experiencing a very high concentration of algae bloom, the heat combined with nutrients bring algae up, we are likely to see some grass and fish die off as well, because it saps oxygen from the water.
Laura Henning
Chief of Interpretation & Visitor Services
Canaveral National Seashore
7611 S. Atlantic Ave.
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169

Octohawk said...

Arghghgh I can't wait to get my backordered kayak racks! This is what I get for trying to support Travel Country instead of ordering directly from Thule. Anyway, your photos are making me miss kayaking even more than I do. I love going to the lagoon in the summer, where it's possible to actually find a bit of solitude on even the most crowded day. And about the algae bloom, some of our biologists took samples and I have some info on it if you're interested. Long story short, it's not great.

Dave said...

Katie, I think we are all interested

As for you rack delay, why not get some foam blocks, are even swim noodles, while you wait?

I went to Cedar Key with foam blocks a couple weeks ago when my rack was under warranty replacement.

Mary Ann said...

Hi Dave,

I want to say that I've been loving your site for years....beautiful pictures and wonderful family events!

I would like to ask you a couple of things through email...would you mind?

Thank you,

M.A.

Dave said...

Ask away.

Mary Ann said...

I don't really want it broadcast for every one to see.

Not a secret guys...just a tad touchy.

Thanks

Mary Ann

Dave said...

Neither do I. Click on my profile, then the web page link

Luis said...

Did Katie come back with what the report said about the algae bloom?