Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Rock Springs Run and Wekiwa Springs State Park

Today, August 21, 2012, was the day this month I work 1/2 a day, play 1/2 a day. I will work Saturday morning.  I went to Wekiwa Springs State Park. Which gets shared billing for all the deer I saw. After kayaking.
Orange County schools started class Monday, Seminole County, last week.  So, less crowded at the State Park.  I asked the gent at the canoe beach if Joanne and Pam were back from their clean up.  They are volunteers who care a lot about the Wekiva and Rock Springs Run."About an hour ago".  A brief chat about the weather, 60 chance of rain, the skies were partly cloudy, and I said, "Lots of time for the rain to come", and I was underway. 2 PM
No alligators on the log where I have seen at least one every visit since February.



Great egret down River from the confluence with Rock Springs Run.  I made the left turn to paddle up Run.





This will be the last good photo for a while. It was here that I took the photo that opens the Tale.  I heard chirping noises near the opened mouth gator.  Too big for that sound.  I paddled back for another look.  Babies, scurrying off the bank into the Run.

 Rain sprinkled down.  It then became dark.  Very dark.  Rain came down harder.  And harder.  And harder still.   Difficult to see through it. And not because my glasses got wet.  My cap has a long visor.  The occasional lightning flash provide some light.  I paddled past Otter Camp, thinking of stopping at Big Buck.  The yak was filling with water, enough to float my water bottle and sunglasses.  I stopped at Indian Mound.
Stood under the lowest trees at the campsite.  Palms, the fronds provided an umbrella. It let up, so I got back on the water.
My turn around point.  Just inside where the tree canopy reestablishes up Run from Big Buck Camp.
Clearing. Both trees and rain.




The Run is higher than it has been in at least two years.  There is a stump, just past Otter Camp.  It is underwater for the first time since the summer of 2010.   Also warm, from the rain and summer heat.




This tree looks much nicer without dumb asses jumping off it.


Landed at 6:40. Unloaded a few things I picked up along the way.
Having a kayak means you never have to buy a bobber.
I did not see any deer during the paddle.   I thought perhaps the high water level had them moving to higher, drier, ground.  After pulling the kayak up the hill and getting on the roof of the car, I drove to Sand Lake to test that theory.




I think I proved my theory.  Got out of the car at the Sand Lake parking lot.  Actually, I got out of it on the way to get better photos.  Got out to walk around the small lake.

I hoped the two bucks would pose in front of the Apopka Sportsman's Club monument.  Which has a buck on it.


Improvised bridge.


 
 
 

Back in the car.
 

3 comments:

Joanne said...

The deer do seem to be hanging out in the Sand Lake area.
Pam and I had planned on a short morning, and we turned around at the beginning of Bear Alley when a large Mama Gator went nose to nose with my kayak, and then swam swiftly back and forth in front of us while her babies chirped. We decided to be respectful and turned back, so we could also check out the stretch between the confluence and Wekiva Island.

Dave said...

That's why she was panting when I saw her Worn out after blocking you and Pam.

Joanne said...

I hope she's still worn out this morning.