Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, August 10, 2012

Sanibel Day 2, Lovers Key State Park

This is not Lovers Key State Park.  It is just outside.  A spot where I turned around on a third try to locate the Park's main entrance.  A bit of foreshadowing.  
This was my second visit to Lovers Key State Park.  The first, Christmas Day, 2008  I'll let that Tale fill you in on the details of Lovers Key. And proof that I have made it to Mound Key.
In the water at 9:30.  Delayed by going into 2 Park entrances before locating the main one.  And, being behind a school bus for several miles.  School? On August 10? That's just wrong.  On the water, I passed a group that had put in just before me.





I was on the paddling trail, which follows a winding canal..  Dredged for a development that wasn't. At mile .75 you can exit the trail through a gap, into a lake like area, then under a bridge into Estero Bay.




Too many jetskis on the water for my taste. Going back and forth, back and forth.  I suppose I do the same thing, but it takes longer and I don't make a wake.
The foreshadowing mentioned at the start of this Tale has to do with my navigation skills.  Or lack there of.  I failed to locate a gap in one of the many mangrove islands that leads to Mound Key.  Tried a couple options, and it was to hot to keep searching.
I was looking for Marker 22.

I had this Map and still failed to find the Calusa mound. I did see a couple manatees, in this area.

Unfortunately, no pics for you.  That's all for now,  Bedtime.  Ding Darling to Blind Pass tomorrow.  At least that is the plan.  Another challenge for your directionally challenged kayaker.  I always get confused in the shallows and dead ends at the north end of Sanibel.
Good Saturday morning. Adding a few more photos from Friday as I have the traditional leftovers breakfast.
Back from the Saturday morning paddle, Ding Darling to Blind Pass.





Took a break at 12:50.  Speaking of which, today's mid afternoon break is over.  I have to get Lighthouse photos.  Yesterday, it began to rain when I was on my way there.  More about that, later.

Back from the bike ride. Dolphins, alligator, a face full of bugs, and I educated an employee of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Service about birds, including one on his State issued polo shirt.  That's what I call a good ride.  Not to mention I beat the rain. Pouring at 6:30 PM.  Hope it stops, I'd rather walk than drive to dinner. Details when I get to today's Tale.


Bird on a wire, Belted kingfisher.
Return to the paddling trail

The green heron hop scotched from post to post.

The posts are "fish gates". Designed to keep large boats off the paddling trail.

.Splashdown!

Back at the launch site, 1:37.  I put my kayak in at a side canal.

Delayed landing to watch a trio of manatees.


Magnificent frigate bird.
My landing spot.  1:57 PM.
There is a lot more to do at Lovers Key State Park, bike trails, paved and dirt, 2 and a half of Gulf beach, but the midafternoon heat had me saving those activities for another day. Like if I return to Sanibel on a Friday, when Wildlife Drive is closed.

After resting, cooling down, writing the Tales, watching the Olympics, I went for a bike ride.

To bad the cart paths on the golf course can't be incorporated into the bike trails on Sanibel .Here is the trail.
 Here is the beach
I pedaled along the beach, but any thoughts of biking to the Lighthouse were stopped by the wind. 
Was nice at my back on the way back.
Walk way, or bikeway, from the beach.



Rain threaten, so I cut the ride short.  Back to the Anchor Inn.



And so ends the first full day of my Sanibel weekend.

No comments: