Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cedar Key Day 2

Tuesday, September 4, 2012.
The view at 7:10 am
 
 
After a leisurely breakfast, I wheeled the yak across the street and was on the water at 9.
 
Thoughts of going to Seahorse Key were stopped my the wind in my face. So, I headed to nearby Atsena Otie Key.


 
 
 
 

Paddled left to right, southeast, around the key. Tide was out so I was far off shore.

Or, near the shore of the emerging oyster bars.



 
 




One other paddler enjoying National Kayaking Day. Proclaimed by me in 2010. I have celebrated the day after Labor Day in Cedar Key the last three years.


Paddled into Channel Number 2, saw two dolphins on the way. Unfortunately, you can't see them.
Checked my depth gauge.
 
This the area I paddled through  on Monday.
Mud flats now. Birds like great egrets and tri colored herons, love it.



 
 
 
Osprey
 
 
 
Snowy egret
 
 
 
 
 

 
Roseate spoonbills love mud flats. Maybe not the rosy part, the spoonie part.
I call this video,
The channel splits at the old railroad line. I took the path past some clamming operations and crab boats. Figured if deep enough for them...
 
 
 
I was wrong.  Had to push myself through the final part of the channel, mounds of mud forming behind me.  Hard work to get back into the main channel.
 
 

 
Hard work, and worth it.
 
Another spoonbill video
 



As I write this Wednesday night, after  5 days in the kayak, I don't recall how far I went. From the second video, I see I made it to Cemetery Point.
 
First railroad to cross Florida. Cedar Key to Fernandina.
 
 
 
Black skimmers on the bar at the entrance to Channel Number 2.
 
 Landed at noon.   The sandwich I packed in the kayak was much better eaten in the unit. I could warm it up in the oven.  The toaster wasn't working..
At 2:00, I went for a bike ride.
 
 
 
 
 
I was looking for launch sites on the west side of Way Key. For sunset.
This spot, at the end of the runway would be perfect.  I need to introduce myself.
 
 
 
 
 
I wondered what the Cedar Key State Museum thinks about people launching there. Carry the kayak down the nature trail to the water.  But, the Park is closed Tuesday and Wednesday, so I could not ask. 
 
 
Wonder where Slaughteree is buried.
 
 
 
 
I heard the distinct sound of a dolphin exhaling, and went to the nearby overlook at Cemetery Point Park for a better view.
 
About time I got a dolphin photo this trip.
 
 
 
 
 
The closest I got to being rained on all my extended holiday.
Think this pelican gets handouts from folks on Dock Street?
Eye do.
 
Back to my suite at 3:30.  Out to dinner at 5. Went to the Big Deck Raw Bar. Across the street from the Gulf on Dock Street.  Open air, views on both sides.
You'd think the city fathers and mothers would encourage businesses to move their trash cans from the Gulf view.
Looking the other way, at the marina.
Need a few more dollars on the walls to match the No Name Pub or Cabbage Key.
Started with an oatmeal stout, I told my waitress it is always good to have a second breakfast, and clam chowder.  The chowder had a nice spicy kick.  Something I had not tasted in chowder before. But would again.
Oysters and grouper. Oysters were fine, grouper excellent.  Fries, hand cut, soggy. Mentioned that to my waitress, who said they tend to be either soggy or burnt.  Next time, I'll try the potato salad.   In another spicy twist, banana peppers on the coleslaw.
In the kayak again at 6:20.
For the best sunset view, I'd have to go far beyond the fishing pier.  To wavy for my liking.  So, into the channel
 
Tide was in, but I need not have to go far to find spoonbills.
 
 
 
 
Paddled into a cove that I thought might house more spoonbills.  It did.
Until they flew away.  And landed nearby.
 
 
Not just spoonbills, snowy egrets and ibis.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
No sunset photos Tuesday, you'll have to settle for the spoonbills pallet.

No comments: