Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cedar Key, Day 3

Wednesday, September 5, 2012.  Views from the balcony at 7:35.
 
View from the back balcony as I started the traditional last day walk.
 
Clam farmers head to their leases.
Dock Street
Tuesday's dinner spot. Big Deck Raw Bar
View from the Big Dock.


 

 
 


I prefer live to frozen kayaks.




 
 
 
 
My balcony.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Back to Park Green at 8:45.  These are pamphlets of Florida birds, fish, and butterflies.   I ate breakfast, packed, wrote in the room log, and checked out.  And made a reservation for my birthday weekend.  We will see if I can hold out until November.  I do have a three day weekend at the end of September.
On the water at 11.
 
Roughest seas of the 3 days, so I headed, once again to Channel Number 2.
 
 
 
 
 
 




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bald eagle. There were two.  Can't say for sure if the other bird in the upper left is the second eagle.
 
 
A large white bird, fringed with black, flew overhead.  I'd seen a few flying wood storks over the last few days, but none on the ground.  I continued to watch, umm, that's more of a pelican profile.  White pelicans are back.
 
To bad I couldn't get very close.  Low tide.
 
 
Brown pelicans
 
 
Stopped at Cemetery Point
 
View as I ate my sandwich.
 
 
Back in the kayak
 
Wood stork.
 
 
 
 

 
 
I landed just past 2.  If I left town,  I'd get to Orlando just about 4:30.  And get stuck in rush hour traffic.  So I decided to see it the clam chowder at Tony's lived up to the hype.
 Nice view.
 
 In a brilliant marketing move, Tony's tool their chowder to some town in New England and won a taste contest. 3 years in a row.  They have milked that to no end.
It is good.  Like the chowder at the Big Deck Raw Bar, it has a spicy kick.  Unlike that chowder, it is thick and creamy, which I like.  Lots of clams.  But, I can't see spending $7.99 on a bowl of soup very often.
More views from my table.
 
 
 
Reluctantly leaving Cedar Key.
Driving through Bronson, the Levy County seat, I saw a sign for Harry Beck Park.  Which I thought was the site of Bronson Blue Spring, the source of the Wacasassa River.  I turned.  Went a few miles, saw another sign, Harry Beck Park, 10 miles. Oh well, I;d rather be on country roads now then bumper to bumper in Orlando.   I went past the park, turned around and parked.  And found out from the worker it is not the site of any spring, but just a nice park on the Wekiva River.  He refused to take my dollar, the cost of admission, as I walked around.
 
 
 
 
 
I left at 4:30.
No cars from the park to Bronson.  Still had to "steer" carefully.
 
Hit the tail end of rush hour on I-4 in Orlando at 6:30.  Man,  I wish I had a way to live in Cedar Key.
 

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I really, really enjoyed your trip, especially this last day. Now I'm wondering if I can wait until March for my next Cedar Key trip....

Luis said...

The clam chowder looks good. I would have a problem with the spicy kick. Cannot have that.

I really need to visit Cedar Key. Maybe this winter because next vacation will be at the Florida keys. Any advice on snorkeling tours there? Would like to take my family to a nice snorkeling place.

Dave said...

March? This winter? My advice, on a Friday night check the weather, marine, and tide reports, if all are good, head to Cedar Key Saturday morning, come back Sunday night. Or, call in sick, Monday.

Luis, give my brother, Andy, a call for snorkeling in the Keys. His number is on the right side of the page.