Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Fort De Soto

Lunch spot on Day 2 of my extended Labor Day Weekend.

Johns Pass. Where I had a delay.
Three more bridges, and I was at Fort Desoto County Park. The county being Pinellas.   I found a spot on Soldier's Hole near the rental concession and was underway at 9:15.
Saw several manatees.

 
 


 
 
In the wrong position, sun wise for better pics of the above reddish egrets. Which were at the islands where the narrow Soldiers Hole widens to a bay between two keys.
 
 




 
Arrowhead Picnic area.
 
 
 

Beautiful lagoon on the north end of Mullet Key, the main key of Fort De Soto Park.


 
 
 I thought about crossing the channel to Shell Key, but there was too much boat traffic for an enjoyable crossing.  So, I headed back.


 
 
Juvi black crowned night heron.

 
 
The next pic, chronologically, is the opener. It was almost noon, I was hungry, so I stopped at the first open spot. No picnic table here. I like to eat standing up after sitting in the kayak.
Sunshine Skyway.  I was going to be on this bridge today, Monday, but the Myakka River had other ideas.
I could not see it, but I'm guessing fishing line caused this pelican's demise.
 
 
 
 
 
Someone needs to tell this yellow crowned night heron the wings will dry faster if not covered by mangrove leaves.

 

It was fairly busy near the rental concession, but could have been worse.

Plenty of unrented kayaks.
I watched another manatee hang out with a family of paddle boarders, then landed. 1:20
 
Loaded the yak, drove across the road to the parking area near the Fort and Gulf Pier, changed, and got on the bike.  Road bike today, I brought both.
 
 
 When taking picture at Fort De Soto, or anywhere, pay attention to your surroundings. Look for other cyclists.  Do not suddenly stop, especially on the left side of the path. Move to the right, not left, to get out of the way of oncoming bikers.
 
I don't know what I was thinking.  Credit the guy behind me for not giving me the business.  I deserved  it.
 
 
 
 
It had been awhile since I visited the land side of the Arrowhead Picnic Area.
 
One might not expect such a "hammocky" area on a key at the entrance to Tampa Bay, but, there it is.
 
 
 
Just shake it off.
 
 
 
 
 
Four osprey. Wait for it, have to pull back.
 
 
Getting all four loses the detail.
 
 
I rode, and took pictures, for about an hour. Next stop, the Gulf Pier.
 
 
 
 
Huge barge passing Egmont Key and lighthouse. The smaller tower, on the left. The big one is on the boat.
This, I was told, is a blue runner. They were everywhere.  People were pulling up 4,5, 6 at a time as they would bite the line, not just the hook.'
 
Another view of the Gulf Pier. From the top of Fort De Soto.
 
 
 
 
 
Too bad my aim was off. Trying to line up the vent hoods with the Skyway Tower.
Left the Park around 3:30. The bad thing about summer holidays, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, it's too darn hot to spend the entire day outdoors.
Don Cesar. I stopped at a Winn Dixie for beer and dish soap. Neither provided in the unit. Nor was coffee. I had bought my own, just in case. And beer, but new I would need more. Composed the Yak Tale, ate, leftover steak and potato, corn, than went to the beach.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A lot of photos, but this is why I got a place near the beach.
 
 
 
By the dusk's late light
 
And so ended another fine summer day.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

What a great day! One of my favorite places for biking, paddling, and camping.

Brenda M said...

There's no way you'll beat that opening photo! It's got it all, perspective, color, clarity, composition. Great job, dude!

Luis said...

Your sunset pics should be postcards material. Just wow!!!

Dave said...

Thank you all.

To Brenda, who with Joanne commented before the entire Tale was told, Do the sunset photos come close?