Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Haulover Canal


 
 
A great afternoon at Haulover Canal.
Alligator, dolphin, manatee. Three water dwelling, lung breathing creatures- the Florida trifecta.
I decided to give all three the honor of the first big picture.
 And something just as good. Very few people on the water. The Bairs Cove Boat ramp was closed.  I will explain, later.

After working to noon, I was on the Indian River at 1:30.  Headed to Mullet Island.  For a moment, I thought someone was on the island.  Which is off limits as a bird sanctuary.
 
 Not a human, a white pelican.
 
First of the season on the east coast.  I saw a flock a couple weeks ago at Cedar Key.
 
 
 
Alligator on the west side of Mullet Head Island. First one I've seen this far out in the Indian River.  The island is a mile off shore from the east bank, where I put in, much further than that to the west landfall.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Circuit of the island complete, I was greeted by a dolphin.
 
2/3 of the way to the Trifecta
 
 
One dolphin hunting off Mullet Head.  It then swam across the boat channel and joined two others.
 
 
Headed to the alternate, natural canal.  Not that I had to do it to avoid boat traffic.  Not much, with the ramp closed.  Boaters had  to travel from other ramps to get to Haulover.
 
 

Killdeer just before the entrance to Bairs Cove.
Manatees, the Florida Trifecta completed.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It was wonderful to watch the manatees without keeping an eye out for boats launching and landing.  One worker was on site.  I inquired what was going on.  He said an alligator had taken up residence in an area of cat tails.  To close for comfort to the ramp and parking area.  So, the cat tails were removed, the area where the gator was paved over. Seems like a drastic solution in a Wildlife Refuge.
Here is the official version  Should the link expire, here it is again.
 
The repairs to Bairs Cove swale will begin on Monday September 17th. Bair's Cove Boat Ramp and Parking Area will be closed September 17-21. Access will be available on September 22 for the start of early teal season.
 
 
 
 
I took the above pic to mark the water level.  High.
Manatee Overlook.
 
Kayak, manatee, barge.
 
The little boy in me wants this whatever it is to be a zero gravity simulator.  But with manned spaceflight  far off, who knows what it is.
 
 
 
Into the Mosquito Lagoon.  As Daddy Warbucks in his yacht roared into the Slow No Wake Canal. Jerk.
 
 
Rain forecast was a 40 chance.  Nice clouds, but no rain where I was.  I paddled north, past the first two islands, then into what I call "the protected area"  Islands cutting the size of the Lagoon. Less winds and waves.  Although today, neither was a factor.
 
 
 


 
A look back at the islands.  I came through the second gap, looking right to left.
 
 
Approaching the Canal.
There are often manatees in and near the large gap on the north side of the Canal.
I saw one.  Into the Canal.


 
More alligators than I usually see in Haulover Canal and environs.  I bet reduced traffic due to the ramp closing had a lot to do with it. This video did not come out as clear as I would like, but you can see how the alligator moves by swinging it tail to and fro.
 
 
 
Back to Bairs Cove.  The worker had told me he thought the parking lot and ramp would reopen early this week,  but apparently it opened when he finished.  Two groups had driven in to watch manatees, and, as I approached, a trailer backed down the ramp.  It was nice while it lasted.
 
 
 
The manatee pod was quite, shall I say, rambunctious.   I drifted towards the orgy, maybe got to close, tried to back away, when one manatee decided to push my kayak  around.  A second manatee pursued the first. Jealous?  They gave me quite a ride.  I had to paddle hard to lose them. Only to have the come at me a second time.  Eventually, they lost interest.
 
 
 
 
I shared the Cove with a couple who had launched across the Canal from the Cove.  Petters, which I don't like.  "Oh look, its the same one"  Well yeah, everyone likes a nice back rub, now you made it used to humans, used to approaching boats, including those with sharp propeller blades. On the other hand, they were generous, letting the  people on the dock use their kayaks.
 
 

 
 
Always nice to capture a flighty belted kingfisher.
 
I headed out to Mullet Head Island for another visit.  Wanted to see if there were any roseate spoonbills and more than one white pelican.
 
 
Still just the lone white pelican.
 
I paddled clockwise around Mullet Head, instead of my usual  counter clockwise route.  Need to shake things up the second tour of the day.
 
 
 
No spoonbills.  A Facebook friend posted photos of spoonbills and a flock of white pelicans on the St. Johns near the confluence with the Econlochatchee. Or vice versa.
 
 
Landed at 5:50.
 
Last dolphin of the day.
A farewell photo
 
I stopped at the Scrub Ridge Trail.
Parking lot butterfly.
 
 
I did not see, or hear, any scrub jays.
Another nice thing about kayaking on the east coast.
Drive home into the sunset.  Approaching the Max Brewer Bridge.
On the bridge.
Highway 50.
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was scrolling down and was enjoying your whole post. I think you have done great job with beautiful photography of this Canal and presented it a great view of this canal.

Carol@ Thames boat hire

Luis said...

Do not make us wait long Master Dave. This is looking very good right now. Had to google cat tail to see what you were talking about. My first reaction was...Huh????

Dave said...

Thank you, Ms. Gumm. More to see now that the Tale is complete. I looked at what I assume is the TBH website. I don't see kayak rentals No kayaking under the Tower Bridge?


Luis, maybe the worker is from Up North. Cat tails are one of the most common wetland plants where I came from.