Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Haulover Canal

Saturday, September 29, 2012. I saw alligators, dolphins, manatees, and roseate spoonbills.   But the first photo of the day gets the coveted lead off spot.  On the water at 11:15 after going into the new office for a couple hours.  Which is on the east side of the Orlando metro area.  So, I was at Haulover for the second consecutive Saturday.
 I headed to Mullet Head Island with a manatee.  Did not get any photos of it.




Wonder if this is the same alligator I saw last Saturday.

Always good to catch a belted kingfisher.

A lone spoonbill on the backside of the island.  Supervivid setting.
 
 
Coming around to the east side of the island, a flock of spoonbills, that had been hidden in the interior, took flight.
And landed.




Now, some barely visible dolphin photos.
 


There were two dolphins.  Leapt out of the water a couple times as the fed.
Two dorsal fins beyond the red kayak.  Part of a tour from A Day Away.  Another outfitter, whose name escapes me, also had a group out on the water.

Into one of the dead end canals.

And out.
 
 
Into Bairs Cove.
 
 
 
To my delight, I had the Cove to myself.  I watched the manatees for about 15 minutes, than headed into the Canal, paddling towards Mosquito Lagoon.
 
 
 
 
I did my usual exit of the Canal before the east end, than back in. 
 
To the end of the Canal and a look at NASA launch and communication towers. 
I did not paddle into the  Mosquito Lagoon, choosing to turn around and head back. 
 
 
Back to  Bairs Cove.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Last photo, brown pelicans, before landing at 2:30.
Next stop, well after Publix for chicken and beer, Orlando Wetlands Park.
 
A new sign.  I pedaled in the Lake Searcy direction.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The turtle liked it. Caught in mid clap.
 
Well, not  really.
 
 
 
Palmedes swallowtail
No ID required.
 
Any day I see a bald eagle, in addition to alligators, dolphins, manatees and roseate spoonbills is a great day.
 
Cat tails. For someone who mentioned he had not heard of them.
 
 
Cattle egrets
 
Glossy ibis
 
 
A final red shouldered hawk. I spent about an hour forty minutes at the most scenic

3 comments:

Luis said...

Guilty as charged.

Joanne said...

I love that place--both places.
The butterfly I think is a Black Swallowtail. They look a lot alike but the Palamedes' body has lines on it instead of dots.
I had to get out my Butterflies Through Binoculars book to be sure, as I am certainly no expert on these critters.

Dave said...

Like viceroy compared to a monarch?