Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, September 28, 2012

Weeki Wachee

BLOGGER SUCKS.   AGAIN WITH THE CONTROL A. WHY THE self censored DOES THAT DELETE AN ENTIRE POST.  YES, I AM ANGRY.
I need to get back to my happy place.
I was the second car in the Rogers Park lot.  The other had towed the boat in the canal. 7:30 am, I made the short paddle to the Weeki Wachee River.
I did not take a lot of photos on the way up River.  The current is swift, and there was not a lot of wildlife.  At least that I saw.  A good thing I had not posted a lot of photos.  AS FUCKING BLOGGER LOST THEM ALL.  Sorry for the foul language, but sometimes I need to let off steam.
The may not be a lot of wildlife, but what there is can be of the iconic variety.  Like the bald eagle on the branch in the above photo.  Took off before I could get a picture.   Landed again, no picture. Repeat.



A trio of deer was more cooperative.




I moved on before the deer did.


I've never seen kayaks at the Springs Coast Environmental Center before.  Hernando County's version to Nature's Classroom, on the Hillsborough River,in Hillsborough County.
Speaking of kayaks, I encountered 18 or so canoes and kayaks coming down the Weeki Wachee.
I hoped the eagle would land here. Or one of the other trees where I have seen eagles in the past. No such luck.
Reached the end of the up River paddle just after 10.

State Park tour boats.



Arm and camera underwater.



A high school group was getting a lesson on the bank.  In the water, I asked a gentleman in a kayak about the kayaks pictured earlier.  He was a volunteer, waiting for a middle school group.  The kayaks have been at the Center for four years, but are only put on the water when ready to be used.
 New signs since my last visit, Thanksgiving weekend.   The first one is about a half mile down River of the State Park launch.  The mile markers are every half mile.


Leaving State Park waters.
 
 
 
 
 
I took a break at 11:30. Had half a sandwich, finished it in the yak. Went slowly downstream.  As slow as the swift current allowed.  A few times I'd grab branches to slow down.  I did not want to catch up with paddlers ahead of me.
I have always thought the two closed landing areas were about half way to Rogers Park.  The three mile marker is across the River from the up River landing.
Which has been closed due to vandalism for the last 5 years or so.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
This is where the post was deleted thanks to poor design. Ready for bed, but will post a pic or two during the Badger comeback.
This is a little creek off the River.
 Goes back to a pond like area.  Not spring fed, as you can see by the dark water.
Back on the River, almost to Rogers Park, I saw a manatee swirl on the surface. Headed up stream.  I followed the pair of manatees for awhile. Took some pics when were under the yak. Did not turn out. The disturbance off the bow at 11 o'clock is a manatee.
Back to Rogers Park at 1:05. I kept going.
Shoal Line Rd. Bridge, and the Upper Deck, where I often  stop for a bite.
Great egret and rentals at The Kayak Shack.
I went under this low bridge, and even lower pipes, to get to the lesser developed north channel.
Into the no sign of civilization creek that connects the Weeki Wachee to the Mud River.
Which is much lovelier than the name implies.  Like Mud Lake, in Lake Tomahawk, WI.  Where my brothers, Tom G. and I spent many a morning, fishing.
 
The Mud and Weeki Wachee merge.  This boater raises the question.  If you can't read, how can you operate a boat?  Well inside the Idle Speed marker on the Weeki Wachee.
 Paddled to the Bayport Pier.  Too rough to paddle into the Gulf.  Maybe if I had not been out 7 hours.
 
Weeki, right, Mud, left.
 
 
This can't be good.
I almost did not make it under the pipes.  Tide came in.
 
 
Just as I was about to enter the canal at Rogers Park, I thought, "Did I put the parking receipt on the dash?"
A piece of yellow told me I had not. Parking ticket. Rogers Park has an ATM style parking meter.  I paid, and like at an ATM, put the receipt in my wallet.   $40 ticket. Hopefully I can just mail the receipt.  I called Hernando County Code Enforcement, but the person I need to talk to was gone for the weekend.  Don't think I'll get out of the speeding ticket I got Thursday. $246. Orange County is one of 3 counties with the highest fines.  I wondered why the tricked out pickup with tinted glass was tailgating me.  The good news, I will not be taking that route again.  Thursday was the last day at the old office.  Friday was moving day, so no work.  No pay, either.
 
I needed a drink.

At the bar at the Upper Deck
 
Clam chowder and half a pound of shrimp.  The chowder was good, I always get a cup when I have the dinner special.  To early for that. The shrimp were not. Hard to describe, other than, bland.  Washed down with a rum and coke.  Or, as I look at the receipt, Pepsi.
View from the lower deck of the Upper Deck ends this Tale.

3 comments:

Luis said...

We were 5 minutes from meeting at the Weekie Wachee. I have a special day off I have not use yet and told my wife to go to the Weekie Wachee. Yesterday morning I was too tired from working out the night before so when the alarm woke me up I said...five more minutes...one hour later decided to go to work. Looking forward to see the rest of your post. By the way, that contrast between the emerald green water and the red yak is very nice.

Unknown said...

Hi Dave
I recently discovered your site. What you call fowl language, seems just to be honest anger at those that would destroy a nice website just like they would trash a river with their noise and empty beer cans. I do not currently have time to write much, but would love to, at some point, tell you some stories about Weeki Wachee and Mud River. My family has had a history of living on river since early 1800's, so I have some stories (some lived and some told to me) to share. So until later,
keep stroking those paddles,
Robert

Dave said...

Luis, you should have let paddling up the Weeki Wachee be your workout.

Robert, welcome aboard. I, and I'm sure my oter readers, would love to hear your stories.