Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Wekiva River and Blackwater Creek

A nice day on the Wekiva River and Blackwater Creek today,  Sunday, September 23, 2012.
Underway at 8:50.  The great egret was the only animal I saw in the area across from Katie's Landing. So, I began paddling down the Wekiva.
 



Hey, look up!
I always keep my eyes and ears open for manatees on this section of the Wekiva. I noticed an offshore bush moving when everything else was still. A manatee, feeding.

Not quite the mob mating scene Saturday at Bairs Cove, but in a way, even better.
Better to see manatees where most people don't expect them.  Unless they read Dave's Yak Tales.
Blue heron, juvenile.
 
Moor hens
 



 
 
I saw no alligators on the way to Blackwater Creek.  Heard some babies, they make a chirping sound.   Saw one other kayaker, plus 2 who were launching as I arrived.  3 or 4 fishing boats.
Got to Blackwater Creek at 10:50, and saw the first gator of the day.


I took a break at my usual spot at 11:45, then headed back down the Creek.
Just one youngster in front of mom.


 
I need to find other pictures of this gauge for comparison purposes.  Water levels are high.
 
 
I could make money off this, February 14/
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A beautiful day, 90 degrees, but not to humid. Fall is on its way.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I landed at 2:45
 
Went to get my car, drove it near the bank to load.  As I parked, a family in two canoes landed. Motors on both.  A sign clearly states, "No Motorized Boat Launching"    I said, "Looks like the whole family failed the reading test"   To which the leader of the illiterate clan replied.   "If you are talking about the motors we did not use them when we landed.  Why do you care? It is none of your business"   I told him it was my business,  and did not think a judge would buy his argument.  He walked away, calling me a dick head.   I told him my name was David and if anyone was a dick head, it was he.
 
Not to mention a self centered, self absorbed, selfish prick.  Setting a fine example for the rest of his family.
 
I went for a walk.
 
 The new trail from across the street to the trail head on Highway 46 has to be an old service road. I've made the 1.2, one way, trek a couple times.  Today, I added one of the 2 one mile loops at the 46 trail head.
A much nicer trail.
 
46 trail head.  I saw a cardinal, blue jay, and snake.  The soft sandy soil of the trail head to trail head path is full of deer and raccoon tracks.
And,  bear.
Back to the car, windows intact.  I had thought, what if illegal family did something?  But, they seemed liked self centered suburbanites, not violent folks.  Not to mention, too weak to pick up a rock. After all, they used motors on their canoes.

3 comments:

Brenda M said...

I'm going to have to dub you the "manatee whisperer" because I don't know anymore more likely to see a manatee in an unlikely spot or an unlikely time than you. You always have the photos to prove it, or we'd be suspecting you of tall-tailing us, Master Dave. :)

Joanne said...

Did you call Wekiwa Springs State Park and report the illegal motor boats?

Dave said...

Joanne, no.