Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Alexander Creek

I should call this, Old Friends Weekend.   Saturday, I went to Blue Springs State Park for the first time since January.  Today, Sunday, Alexander Spring and Creek for the first time since July.  July, 2011.
On my way at 10:30.  Saw an otter as I got ready to launch.  Looking to the empty Spring and swim area. The launch is just outside the Spring.  Unlike Blue Spring (Volusia) boats are not allowed in the spring area at any time.  The buoys mark the no go area.
Empty. On a beautiful morning.  I turned around to head down the Creek.  Saw the, or an, otter.


 
 
 

 
 

 
 
 
 
Same scene as the Tale opener, different picture.
Same gator
 
 Lake County Road 445 is where most people turn back. About mile downstream.  I only saw  or three other paddlers.  Motors are not allowed upstream of the bridge.
 
 
 


 

 
 
 
 
 
I did not see opening here, and turned back. 12:14
 
I hoped I could find this gauge on line.  To see how far I went. No luck.
 
 
 
 
 
 I saw a bald eagle, soaring high ovet the Creek.  It looked like it landed in a tall pine, but I could not spot it in the thick green boughs.  Or, it just flew low behind the tree and kept flying.
 
Osprey, not an eagle.
 
 
 
 
Back to the bridge at 1:12.  I saw nobody down stream of it.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Only a couple paddles on the Creek before I landed at 1:50.  Just as big group was going out. Wheeled the yak to the car, past the Indian mound,  and got the snorkel gear.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
Next, the Timucuan Trail.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The boardwalk ends, but the trail continues.
 
 
 
Bear poop?
 
 
Short boardwalk over an area that gets wet.
Thanks to a clear little stream.
 
Back to the Spring. A thirty minute walk.  The end of another great day in the Ocala National Forest.

No comments: