Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Rock Springs Run, Wekiwa Springs State Park

Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sandy was 250 miles away this morning, Saturday, October 27, 2012. Steady 20 mile an hour winds, gusts 30 and above forecast.  So, I did not want to go to far from home. More because my rear car rack is missing a nut.  So, I'm using a bar in front, foam pad in the back until the nut arrives at the kayak shop.  Rock Springs Run is a great windy day paddle spot, as the tree line blocks most of the wind.  I arrived at the Wekiwa Springs State Park just before it opened.  Had to ask a lady to move her car so I could get in.  Remember, never stop in front of a gate.  Employees, campers, and Dave may need to get in.
On the Wekiva River at 8:15.


I wondered why so many vultures were roosting on this tree.
I should have taken another picture on the way back.  Early and cloudy in the morning, so, flash photography was to sharp.  I saw brown, and thought deer.  On the way back, I took another look and thought, that's an alligator.  I've seed bloated brown dead ones before.





 
 
On to, and up, Rock Springs Run.
 
 

 



 
 
 
 
 
 
Turn around point, 10:11 am
 
 
Deer, between Indian Mound and Otter Camp
I stopped at Otter Camp.
I rarely stop here, the first of the three campsites on Rock Springs Run. It looks small from the water, but trails extend from the waterside camping area.
I stopped, because who ever used the campsite last, left a trash bag hanging from a tree.  A full, trashbag. At least they picked up after themselves.
The fire pit is missing the grill.  I stuffed the trash bag in the forward hold and went on my way.
Saw another deer, just past this great blue heron. May have been the one I saw earlier. Same side of the Run, same small sized deer.  Across from the "dowager tree"   The big  hollowed out cypress that looks like it has sagging breasts.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Just two kayakers on Rock Springs Run.
 
 
 
 
A half dozen or so boats on the Wekiva.  I landed at 12:25.   As I was getting ready to wheel the kayak up the hill, a guy was about to launch his new kayak.  I remember that feeling.  Even though I've only launched used kayaks.
 
After getting the kayak on the car, I made a slow drive to the Sand Lake trail head.  Looking for deer.  Did not see any. Lots of cars on the Park road. "Lots" being 8 or so.  More cars than usual in the parking lot. 
 
 
 The orange "FT" sticker is for Florida Trail.  A lot of the cars were those of volunteers, working on the trails.  I thanked them, and was glad I did not leave the trash hanging at Otter Camp.
These traps are on long leaf pine trees. Made me think about growing up in Shorewood(suburban Milwaukee) in the 60's and '70's when a rite of spring and summer was watching elms, infected with Dutch elm disease, cut down.   Turns out it was spread by elm bark beetles
 
 
 
Lake Prevatt.  In March, it was dry, I walked out to the middle of it.  Today, I could not find a way to the shore.
I'm guessing it was about a 2 mile walk.
 
 
 
Tree down on the blue cross trail.
 
You may have to open up another widow if you want to look at the trails map and read this. If you see the P and horse head, that is where I began. Walked the green and red trail, past Camp Big Fork, to market 10. Then on the Orange and White trail to Lake Prevatt.  On the way back I took the Blue cross trail from marker 28. 
 
 
Shared the trail with four people.  One hiker, one biker (on a hiking trail where bikes are not allowed, jerk) and two ladies.  Who moved left as I moved to the right as we walked towards each other.  "You must be from Britain."   "We (insert English accent) are!"
 
The walk, with a couple short breaks and time spent trying to get to the shore of Lake Prevatt, took two hours.
No deer spotted.  But a nice day.  There will be windier days this winter.  Here in Central Florida, people had on long pants, sweatshirts, with the hood up.  I even saw a guy in a down vest.  I was in shorts and t-shirt.  On the way home, saw a Time/Temperature sign.  70.

No comments: