Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

St. Johns and Econlockhatchee Rivers

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 was my half work day for October.  I had not been on the Econlockhatchee since December. That was the 419 to Snow Hill section.  I had not paddled the final miles, up  from the St. Johns, since February 2010.   Time to correct that.
In the water at 1:55. Launched at 1:55, from C.S. Lee Park.  On the Seminole County side of the State Highway 46 Bridge.  Volusia County is across the St. Johns River.
 Broad St. Johns River. I was headed south, wind at my back, negating the slow current.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Like all Central Florida rivers this time of year, end of the rainy season, the St. Johns is high.  Flowing over the flat. marshy banks into areas where cattle graze when the water is low.
 
 
Always exciting to see white pelicans.
The high water made it hard, at least for me, to find the mouth of the Econlockhatchee. Saw what I thought was the mouth. It dead ended.  I pushed across some grass into another opening. Not there, either.
This is the island shown in the distance a few pictures up.   Thought the mouth might be here. It was not.
No likely channel farther south, so I turned around.
 
 
 
Looking for the Econ presented more birding opportunities.
 
 
Glossy ibis
 
 
 
 
 
 
As before, I had to push over a flooded area, in search of the Econ.
For a moment, I thought I saw a white alligator.  Nope, just a dead one.
 
 
 
 I finally found the Econ.
Confirmed by this bald eagle
 
The public shelter at Cul Pepper bend is a lot closer to the water than I have seen it.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Pretty, ain't it  The Econ is completely different from the part of the St. Johns it feeds.
 
 
I saw two boats on the St. Johns, 1 on the Econ.  All slowed when passing me.  Thanking the one on the Econ, he said "Isn't it what we are supposed to do?"
 
Turned around at 4:35
 
 
 
 
 
 
 The green sign states "Still Hunt Area"  Tough on moonshiners.
Red shouldered hawk.  Hope for an eagle, as I could not really tell what it was. Until the distinct cry when it took off.
 
 
 
 
One of two bald eagles
 
 
 
 
 
Nothing big birds flying
 
 

You would think I'd easily get back to the St. Johns. You would be wrong, I followed a channel to a dead end. Just one, this time.  But, another chance to see white pelicans. And coots.
 
 
 Air boats get to ignore the channels. I had to listen to the drone of one as it went over the flooded pasture.  Later research revealed it was a tour boat, launching from the Jolly Gator Fish Camp next to C.S. Lee Park.  The company website has "serene tour"   I believe the noise has done messed up their minds.
 
 
 
Pretty, but evil. Water hyacinth.
 
Landed at 6:21
 
 
C.S. Lee Park has limited facilities.  Ramp, pier, picnic shelter.  A sign directs visitors to use the restrooms at the The Jolly Gator Fish Camp.  Which I did, and when I saw Happy Hour lasted until 7, with 60 cent wings and $1.75 beers, I went inside.
Views from my table
Three other people in the joint. "In", more were in a screened area.
5 medium wings. A nice crunch.  I decided for a full meal.  Bar B Q stew seemed like a good bet, but was not available.  I had gator chili instead.
I just had a taste, because my basket  of food arrived at the same time.  I had the chili and coleslaw, tonight, Wednesday at work. Did a 12:30 to 9 shift. Highlight of the day.
Corn fritters, onion rings, catfish, and quarter a pound of alligator.  In the fryer to long for my taste.  Missing, 3 shrimp.  Should have told the waitress to tell the cook to pull them earlier than he had the rest of my dinner.
Waiting, I grabbed a brochure for St. John's River Kayak Rentals.  Available at the Jolly Gator.  No website, call, 407-349-5449 or 407-921-7858.  The outfitter, Steve came in.  He will boat people to the Cul Pepper shelter, for a fee.  According to the brochure, you may see "Blue Herring"  and "Rosebud Spoonbills"   The favorite of Charles Foster Kane.
 
Hope no one czechs my spelling.
 

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I could have offered you a shuttle on Tuesday, since I'm paddling vicariously through your blog.
Always stop at the Jolly Gator for a cold one, but the food looks pretty good, too. Will have to try a snack next time.

Dave said...

Joanne, I thought about asking. But, it wasn't my birthday.

I figured since you and Pam frequent the Jolly Gator, it had to be kayaker friendly.