Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Camping, and more, Seminole State Forest







It is 7:15 PM as I jot down a few observations on my day in the Seminole State Forest and the Lower Wekiva State Preserve. I am in the Forest, at the Moccasin Spring Campsite. Illuminated by fire and laptop.
I arrived at the Forest just eight. To a full parking area. A 5K trail run was set for 9:30. I took advantage of one of the port-a-pottys, then drove through the gate Which doubled today as the Start/Finish line

Drove on, past the launch site, to Moccasin Spring. A Jeep parked in the field by the trail to the site. I walked to the campsite on Blackwater Creek. Occupied. I have been very lucky. All the times I have camped here, it was always empty when I arrived. Lucky today too. I asked if I could pitch my tent, and launch. If the answer were no, I would have gone back to the launch site, put in there, and set up camp when I was done kayaking. The answer was yes. So, back to the car, got the kayak, put the tent and sleeping gear in it, and wheeled it to the campsite.



Left everything else, food, utensils, firewood, charcoal, and more, in the car. Got the tent raised, and was headed down Blackwater Creek at 8:45. Which was good timing because I told a friend I would meet her at the launch around 8:30 to 9.

 
 

 
An odd buzzing sound had be wondering what it was Distant plane? Oh, my phone. Shows how little I use it. It was Stephanie, making her first appearance on Dave’s Yak Tales since February. She no longer works at the same place I do. Lucky woman. I told her I was on my way.
Arrived at the day use launch site just past 9 and we were on our way

 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Nice to paddle with someone for a change. Also nice to see a bear.

I wonder if it is the same one I saw a couple weeks ago. Small, and on its own. Further down Creek and on the opposite bank. Along one of the wider areas of the Creek.


Stephanie had non kayaking things to do so turned back after 90 minutes or so. I continued




Speaking of continuing, I am now composing at home, with all the convenience of the 21st century.  Like electricity and internet access.



One very large alligator
And a tangle of little ones.  Probably related.

After a short break at the usual spot, I entered the Wekiva River at 10 to 12.  Saw two other kayakers, who were coming into Blackwater Creek from the more difficult entrance.
Headed down River





 
 


St. Johns River, 12:40.  I have often seen a bald eagle on a tree on the left side, just past the confluence.  Not there today.  But, also on the left, a round shape poked out of the water.  Manatee snout?  A few moments later, snout, head and upper body.  I paddled to the little cove where I saw it.  No third appearance.  So, I am still waiting for the paddle where I get photos of both a bear and a manatee
The Wekiva is pretty high for mid-November.
I often have to climb up the bank here.  Today, I just slid on the grass for my lunch break.




 
 
 
 
 
Back to Blackwater.


 
 
 
 
 

I think this is the same large gator I saw on the way down.  It had followed the sun, to the opposite bank.
I did not see the little ones


That's a lot of bacon.
 
 
 
 
I saw a deer on the right bank. Too quick for a photo.
 
 
Robin
 
Saw a couple flocks.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Back to my campsite at 4:10.
Bike ride



New limerock on Sulphur Road, formerly a loose, sandy, unbikeable track
Three minute ride, and the Florida Forest Service ran out of limerock.  I turned around.
Back on the (relatively) hard road.

 
Rode for about an hour.  Had to get the fires going before the sunset. Getting very dark at 5:43.

Built a campfire in the pit and cooking fire in the grill.  Bratwurst, potato, and corn on the cob
 
Comfortable night, able to keep shorts on.  Windy, and cloudy, so not a real good night for star gazing. Turned in around 10 PM, to dream of bears and manatees.
 
Not really, but it sounded good.

5 comments:

Luis said...

Before I forget this Master Dave; That Heading Pic is incredibly beautiful. Nice Blackwater trip. Manatee, bear, gators...wow. Is that it or is more coming?

Unknown said...

holy schmokes, that was a big gator... with his cheeks stuffed like a chipmunk!

Dave said...

Big, Florida native, cheeks stuffed. Could call it, Scott.

Joanne said...

The opening picture is the best picture of baby gators I have ever seen. I bet I saw some of the same bunch---there were 4 stacked one on top of the other, but they dove before I could get a picture.

Dave said...

I also thought they were the same family that you and Pam saw.