Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Crystal River, Three Sisters Spring

I took my half day for the month of November, today, the 1st. This way, I maximize paddling time before the time change Sunday morning. Temperatures dropped into the 40's overnight earlier this week. I thought the manatees may be easier to find in the springs of Crystal River and Kings Bay.

Launched from Hunter Springs Park at 3:10.  I asked kayakers who just landed how it was out on Kings Bay.  On the drive in, flags along Gulf to Lake Highway (State Highway 44) were stiff in a west wind.
"Not bad"\ They were right.


 
 
I've been seeing this goose for the last five years. At least I assume its the same one.  I have never seen more than one, and Crystal River is the only place in Florida where I've seen a Canadian goose.

The goose, mallards, pelicans and cormorants were at a pair of small islands near Pete's Pier. I paddled south, past that marina, towards the canal/spring run that leads to Three Sister Springs. Saw the first manatee of the day as I entered the upside down U canal that contains Magnolia Springs.  An area that will be closed as a Manatee Sanctuary on November 15


There were several manatees near Magnolia Springs. At least 10.

Approaching Three Sisters Springs.
I had to wait for an armada of kayakers to exit the short, narrow, run.  Three manatees were in the Three Sisters.  It took a while, but I finally got a decent photo.
 

I paddled around the Springs, looking for a place to get out of the kayak. Tide was in, water was high, I could not find a shallow enough spot. Landing is not allowed.  Paddled out of the Springs, looking for a place to get out.  Still to deep
I
Back into the Springs
 
Found a spot.
 
 
Needle fish
 
 
 
 
 
 
Snorkeled around the Springs, then out the run.
 
 
 
 
 
Just to the right, as you swim, or paddle, out of Three Sisters, is another small spring.  The area around it will be roped off as a manatee sanctuary on November 15, or earlier if there is a cold snap before then.
 
 
10 or so manatees in the area.  I swam back into Three Sisters.
 Over this manatee.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
Tiny spring boils
 
 
 
I snorkeled for almost a half hour.  I had the Three Sisters to myself.   There were kayakers outside the run, but they did not enter the Springs.  But, once I got back in my kayak, more manatees arrived at Three Sisters.
 
 
 
 
 
There were two mother and calf pairs.  I was now taking pictures from the kayak.
 
 
 
Leaving Three Sisters. The opening photo is at the entrance to the Springs. I did not notice how the sign reflected on the water.  Almost protecting the manatee. Quite symbolic. This was one of the best experiences in my spring.  Mine, because I gave a few dollars to help save Three Sisters a few years ago.
 
I paddled into Kings Bay, intending to go to King Spring.
 
I did not make it to the largest spring in Kings Bay.  I paddled on the wrong, northwest side, of  Banana Island.  Not having a map, not having been to Crystal River in 10 months, and not having the Sanctuary markers up, all added to me going on the wrong side.  I saw a sign for Warden Key, and thought, isn't this past Banana Island?  It is.
So, I headed back.
 
 
 
The islands near Pete's Pier
 
 
 
Not a boat ramp.  Staircase at Hunter Spring covered at high tide.
Hard to tell, but the lawn is underwater up to the rear hatch. Landed at 6:40.
 

4 comments:

Robbie said...

Those are some great photos Dave! Crystal River (Three Sisters Spring) is an excellent snorkeling spot to see manatees. It's one of the two places that I have had the chance to snorkel/dive with manatees, the other being Blue Spring State Park before they started closing the spring run many years ago.

Dave said...

Thanks, Robbie. I've been in Blue Spring with manatees, too. After, and before, the season.

Luis said...

Second what Robbie said about the pics. 0-2 on the swimming with manatees thing but that is about to change soon.

Brenda M said...

Manatee photos are magnificent! We went to Crystal River last January, and unfortunately we did it on a weekend. There literally was not a place to dip your paddle, boats everywhere. NOT my kind of paddle! I definitely see why all the restrictions are necessary because it was a sea of humanity all pushing and shoving.