Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, November 23, 2012

Fort Zach and No Name Key

I was ready to go to No Name Key this morning, the day after Thanksgiving.   By the way, when I think of "Black Friday", I think of the Steely Dan song.  In the driveway, when Monica, nys sister called.  Family gathering at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park.  As I had not seen nephew Evan, wife Camila, and son Phin, I headed there instead   Not to mention, the winds were forecast to subside in the afternoon.
 
The beach
 
 
 
The Fort

Coot sentries

Inside the walls


Atop the walls


 
Back to ground level
 
 
 
 
I wondered what kind of hawk this is. Nephew, Arlo thought, American Kestrel.
 
 
 
Back to the beach, where Phin did his happy dance
 
Too bad Kenji is not a golden retriever
Phineas sees something better than his Uncle and Great Uncle.
Aunt and cousin
Joined by Omi on the beach
Olivia and Elena
 
 
 Several generations of Camila's family were at the Park.  Including her 93 year old Grandfather.  Who, I am told, went swimming.  Arlo was the first to get his hair wet.  As did I.  Cool. Felt cooler than a 72 degree spring.
 
Kenji getting down and dirty.  And, stinky.
Monica
 
 
Sorry, facebook only.
 
 
 
Left Fort Zach at 12:05. The Coast Guard cutter was the scene of Ashley and Arlo's rehearsal dinner, in .April.
Next stop, Evan's bike shop. Droped the trail bike, purchased at WeCycle, for a tune up. Then, Winn-Dixie on Big Pine Key for a sub, across the Bogie Channel to No Name Key
 
On the water at 12:54. Began to paddle with the wind at my back.


 
 
 
The old Bahia Honda bridge.
Belted kingfisher
Cormorants
 
 
 
 
 
North Pine Bridge. I think.
 
If the wind died down in the afternoon, it must have been nasty in the morning.  I started out with the wind at my back.  Now, it was in my face as I circled No Name Key.
I paddled south from the ferry landing.  Which no longer exists Nor does the lodge.  Today, Saturday, I found the ruins of one or the other.  But that is a different Tale.
The bridge is now concrete
 
 
 
 
 
I saw three deer, running, before I got the photo that opens this Tale
 
 
 
 
More deer  Photos taken into the sun
 
Three does.  Where was the buck?  Just down the shoreline, it turned out. I failed to get the photo
 
 
 
 
Deer at one of the few private homes on No Name Key
 
 
 
 
 
 
Another look at the old railroad bridge before landing at 5:15.  So another deer while loading the yak. Three more, including a buck with a perfect rack. Went into the mangroves before I could get a photo. 13 deer in all.
 
Thus ends day 2 of my Florida Keys Thanksgiving

No comments: