Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving, Key West Style

Which of course, included a kayak stop.
Long Key State Park. On the water at 10 past noon.
A windy day, so a paddle in the protected Long Key Lakes fit the bill
 
Speaking of bills, I did not see many. Bird bills. Osprey, above.

The Lakes, a lagoon, actually, leads to Zane Grey Creek.  Homes on one side, mangroves on the other.
 
 
A peak at the open ocean before heading back.


Wondered where this would lead.
 
Back to open water and the opening picture of this Tale
Re traced by paddle in the main Creek.  Another chance to see a manatee or a sea turtle.
I have yet to see a manatee here. I had my best vie ever of a large sea turtle, under the kayak, in November, 2009.
If not for vultures over the dump, my bird count would have been very low.
 
 
 
Landed at 2:07. The launch site is on the Park road, just past the entrance station.  Parking is a short walk away.  You can stop on the side of the road to load and unload.  I saw 5 other kayakers, in two groups. No motor boats.  Zane Grey Creek in a Minimum Wake Zone.  The Lakes are probably to shallow for an outboard.
Back on the Overseas Highway
 
 
Over the ocean and through the mangroves to Grandpa's house we go
That would be Grandpa Bill.  Annual Thanksgiving Potluck.  I brought Heineken and two pecan pies.
I must have said "Olivia" Should have said "cheeeese"
Nephew, Arlo, niece, Elena 
Elena's husband, Aaron.  The best flats guide in the Keys http://fishingguidekeywest.com/
Nice eating outdoors on Thanksgiving
 
Something I have never seen.  A ring circled the moon.  Too bad it doesn't show up here.  People said it was from moisture in the atmosphere
 
Budding photographer
Ashley, Arlo's wife, on uke.  Bonnie, Josh Rowan's spouse, on guitar.  Josh and Bonnie operate the Hindu, http://sailschoonerhindu.com/   Just back on the water after a lot of hard work by the Rowan family and their many friends. 
 
Olivia likes lights flashing in her eyes.
I will close with a song
In the spirit of my Grammy Cannon at the piano
 

No comments: