Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, December 10, 2012

Canaveral National Seashore, Mosquito Lagoon


 
Yesterday, Saturday December 8, 2012 was the first Saturday I slept in my bed since November 3. Nov. 10, Cedar Key, Nov. 13 camping, Seminole State Forest, Nov. 24, my sister’s in Key West, December 1, camping Gamble Rogers Memorial Recreation area. I feel like I am still camping. Phone and internet are down. When the guy at the 800 number told me to go outside, with my phone, unscrew the cover on the phone box, plug in the phone, I asked who do I send my bill too. There was no dial tone. I called back. No record of my earlier call. Nor any reports of any other service issues, even though, the first thing the happened when I called the 800 for repairs was, “We are experiencing internet collection problems, the problem should fixed in a few hours” Interesting that Century Link was problems with internal communication. After my second call, I was told service may not be back until 7 PM Monday. Which is BS. There are no weather issues or any problems. Get someone out and fix the damn phone.  All systems back up at 6am, Monday

To my happy place. Launched from Parking Lot 7 into the Mosquito Lagoon at 9:30. I had seen a dolphin as I carried the kayak from car to water. So, I went the direction it had taken, south.
I did not go to far, not even to the Eldora dock. I did not see the dolphin, and I wanted to begin paddling north. So, I turned around, went on the west side of an island. And there it was.

 
 
I  followed it back to Eldora.

The dolphin continued south, once again I turned north. And west, as I saw what might be a manatee.
It was.

 I did not think I was too close, but, I must have been. It rolled back and forth a couple times, then arched its back, raised its fluke, and took off with a splash and roiling wake. I got wet.


 

 Flat water, light breeze, high 70‘s. I do not think the weather was much different 50 miles west. So, why is my phone not working?
Osprey with a sheepshead. I saw the stripes as it flew over me. The osprey, that is.
 
 
 
 
 I entered the Shipyard Island paddling trail
 
With new, improved markers. Used to just have posts with numbers. Had to guess which way to turn. I believe the rule is, turn on the inside of the post. Now, they all have arrows.

 
 
 
 Lots of snowy egrets

 

Tried to get a photo of algae that is widespread. Should have held the camera underwater.



 
 



It took 90 minutes to paddle through Shipyard Island.


 
 
 Paddled across the Lagoon to Turtle Mound and took a break. These butterflies were everywhere
 
After a sandwich, I went to the top of the Mound

 
 
 
 
 Told you the butterflies were everywhere.  As the State Butterfly should be.
 
 
 
 
Back on the water at 1:00
 
 
Dolphins ahead.  The opening photo came from this pod.
 
I have to look up this duck. Any suggestions from my crack staff are welcome.  I am reminded I saw my first hooded mergansers of the season on Shipyard Island.  Including a male with a big white head crest.
 
 
 
Loon
 I was almost to Castle Windy when I saw another dolphin
 
 
Castle Windy is a shell mound.  Not as large as Turtle Mound, but shells mean shellfish, and dolphins are often nearby.
 
I landed at the foot of the midden.

No boardwalk here, the trail leads from Lagoon to Ocean.

 
 
 
 
Back to the yak
 
 
 
As I've said before, this is one of the most scenic, short walks you can take.  Just bring the bug spray.  It is called Mosquito Lagoon for a reason. 
 
 
A dolphin swam off shore.  Even from land, it was hard for me to get a good photo
 
I got slightly better pics from the kayak
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
I landed just past 4.  Chatted with a woman who was crabbing.  She had been raking the bottom when I passed by earlier.  I told her I thought the launch would not be a good place to find crabs.  On the contrary, she said she usually found them here.  The result of anglers tossing out unused bait, she thought.  Good point  She had 20 clams, enough for dinner

I had the trail bike, for a ride on the beach, but the tide was too high for that


So. I walked

A short stroll on the sand, 10-15 minutes.  Left the seashore just before 5.  Should I stop at J.B.'s Fishcamp for a beer, bite and sunset?  What the heck.  Packer game doesn't start until 8:30.

Cool enough to sit outside.
 
Crabalicous sandwich.  $10.95.  Pricey, at first glance, but when you consider it is all blue crab meat, no filler, no shell to crack or claws to suck meat out of, its not to bad price wise.
 
Crabalicious and beer. Aka the J.B. special.  Not for the Fishcamp, but fellow kayaker, Joanne B's choice.
 
 
Desert
 
 
 
Trimmed mangroves and oyster shells almost under my table.
 
 
Food, drinks, sunset, and live music
 
I was seated under the bright yellow umbrella
 
Dolphin. Over the trolling motor.  Lets get the boat out of the way
That's better.
Wrapping up the Tale on Tuesday night.  Hope to do the usual Wednesday morning paddle, weather permitting.  Rain is forecast.  Then I have to make it through 3 days of work before 4 days at Sanibel.  Home, work 3 days, 4 days at Cedar Key.  Always good when the kayaking days outnumber the work days.  I like that reality
 
 
 
 
 



3 comments:

Brenda M said...

Love these Mosquito Lagoon trips! We want to try that out someday, so thanks for all the good feedback on your trips; helps a lot.

Dave said...

Glad to be of service, Brenda. I say someday is now Just check the marine forecast. As winter approaches there will be more choppy than smooth days on the Lagoon.

Joanne said...

Yum, crabulous sandwich and beer, my favorites for sure!