Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Cedar Key Christmas Eve, Eve

Good morning.  Sunrise from my balcony, 7:22 am.
I took the first picture of the day at 6:46

7:01
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Last sunrise pic, 7:24
 
 The usual leftover steak and potato breakfast was better than usual.  Not the usual cheapest steak, but Omaha Steak. Thanks, Mom.  With Cedar Key clams.
 
 
On the water at 10:15. Warmer than Saturday, left the sweatshirt in the unit.
 
 
High tide at Way Key (Cedar Key) was at 11.  I wanted to see if I could paddle through Astena Otie Key.  Saw  dolphin on the way
 
Thought I saw an eagle.  I did. Paddled for a closer look.
Not a bald eagle.  Two, bald eagles. Maneuvered closer still.
 
One left the perch
 
I did not find the way through Astena Otie. Or, the way I thought was the route was two shallow.  So, I went around.
'
 
 
 
 
Woodstorks.  I have not got a picture of one on the ground for a while.
 
 
Still no ground photo.  They landed in some trees
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
I have seen loons 3 of the last 4 weekends.  None at Sanibel, perhaps it is too far south.  I had nver heard their call, in Florida.
 
Snake Key
 
 
 
 
 
 
 A bald eagle flew overhead
 
 
The eagle has landed
 
 
"Just" one, this time
 
Kingfisher has taken over an osprey platform
If I can get two pictures of a kingfisher at the same spot, it must have taken up residence
 
Seahorse Key.  Thought I'd paddle out to it Monday. Should have gone Sunday. Or Saturday. When there was a Open House at the lighthouse. But,  believed the choppy waters forecast and went to the Wacasassa and Wekiva.
 
 
Loon
 
Buffleheads 
Lesser scaup
Dolphin. Underwater
 
 
White pelicans and friends
 
 
 
 
Bald eagles, wood stork, loons and white pelicans.  That's  good day.
 
 
Atsena Otie Key dock
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I joined the raccoon on the beach
A couple, and a family of four on the beach. Both had paddled over.
 
 
I wonder how many people take the bricks. The town of Cedar Key was once on Astena Otie. After it moved to Way Key, pencil factories were here.
 
 
Someone moved this blade.  It used to be further from the tower
 
 
Cemetery
 
 
 
A nice spot after breaking the earthly chains
 
 
 
This burial record was on a bench.  Not attached to anything.
 
 
 
 
 
I did a search for Mills Engineering, in Bronson, FL.  A present day company. I assume this survey marker is from the 1980's and 90's when Astena Otie was almost developed.
 
For the second time
 
Last time I was here, there was a gate.  The time before that, no gate. I could see new planks. I told myself the sign must refer to jumping down to the beach.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1884 Map. Way Key, right, Atsena Otie Key, left.
 
 
 
 
 
Back paddling at 2:40. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Landed at 3:05.  It finally dawned on me today, Christmas, why Park Place has blue and silver ribbons.  I was thinking they just used what was available. Maybe, but perhaps they are Hanukkah decorations.  The Israeli flag is blue and white.  With all my Jewish relatives, I should have thought of that sooner.  And, Levy County is named after a Jew, David Levy Yulee. Florida's first Senator. Both U.S.A. and C.S.A.  Given today's demographics in rural Levy County, I think my first instinct was correct
 
I rarely use props, but thought this was too good not to.
Who knew Guinness had 4 varieties?  3 of each in a seasonal 12 pack.  Plus the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. 
You can have your beach. And stick a lime in your bottle to overcome the skunky taste from beer in a clear bottle. I'll take the balcony and brown bottles.
 
 
Back on the water at 4:55.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Honeymoon Cottage never fails as a photo subject
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I did not see the sun, but the setting was still beautiful
 
 
 
 
 
I love how Cedar Key celebrates the holidays with sea critter lights. Sand dollar and star fish
 
 
 
 
 
 
Landed at  5:40.  Unlike Saturday, I had battery power for photos of the lights.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Cedar Key is no longer the Number 1 producer of farm raised clams, but a 2 would not look as good in lights.  The clam fact comes from a glossy magazine in the unit, put out by the industry.
Clam chowder at Steamers. My third choice for dinner.  I was excited when I saw a sign at the Pickled Pelican stated they were open to 9.  "We closed at 7, no one was here" Across the street to the Big Deck Raw Bar.  Open, but kitchen closed.  Back across the street to Steamers, were a sign read, stone crab claws, 1/2 pound, $9.99.   What a deal.
Maybe I misread the sign. Snow crab, not stone.
Went with a burger.  Washed down with a Stumpknocker.  A pale ale from the Swamphead brewery in Gainesville.  I brought half the crab and a third of the burger back to the room.
 
I did not misread the sign. Oh well.  And so ends Christmas Eve,  Eve in Cedar Key.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Great pictures, especially the sunset pic of the dock with all the pelicans.

I've only heard one loon, and that was at Mosquito Lagoon several years ago.

Good pics of the white and brown pelicans together--man, those white ones are huge.

Happy Holidays to you Dave! Thanks for doing your blog, I always look forward to it.

Dave said...

You're welcome, Joanne. Consider Dave's Yak Tales a year long Christmas card.

Brenda M said...

Some really stellar photos in this batch, Dave. My husband's a "brown bottler", too. You know, you really ought to up and move to Cedar Key, just buy that wonderful room you stay in. Cedar Key seems to suit you really well, and vice versa. And nobody takes better shots of Honeymoon Cottage than you do!

Dave said...

Thanks, Brenda. Moving to Cedar Key is a dream.