Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Lakes Maitland, Nina and Minnehaha

I was about to back down the driveway this morning, Wednesday, 12-12-12, when I realized I needed to grab a Packer hat. After all, today is Aaron Rodgers Day  With proper headgear, I launched from Fort Maitland Park at 8:48.


 
 
 
There were a lot of vultures at and around the point where the first narrow bay of Lake Maitland curves into a second, small bay.  Many more on the large roofs of palatial homes.
 
The usual, anhingas.
 
Coots
 
Covered bridge
Mallards and moorhen
 
This anhinga had something in its beak.
 
Oh, oh.  Hanging from a rope.  Not moving. I paddle over, wondering if I could whack the branch with my paddle, breaking it.  The bird came back to life, beat its wings,  breaking the rope or more likely, the thin branch, and fell into the water.
 
 
 
Belted kingfisher
 
Wood ducks
 
Snowy egret.
 
 
 
 
Ibis
 
Lake Nina wood ducks
 
 
 
Osprey, in an unusual pose. Washing its wings.
 
 
 
 
 No heron photos which is rare.  Saw a tri colored heron, flying out of the canal.  As I was landing, a blue heron was on shore.  I got greedy, too close, and only have a photo of where it used to be. 
 
I promise to have heron photos next time.  Four days on Sanibel Island, beginning Saturday.

No comments: