Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sanibel, Day Four

Tuesday, December 18, 2012. Last day for me, on Sanibel Island.  I slept in, up after sunrise.
7:40 headed to the beach
 
 
 
 
 
 
What you missed from my forgetful memory card on Monday.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I saw my first dolphin of the 4 days at Sanibel. Would prove to be the last. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It is nice to be in the closest condos to the Lighthouse 
 
 Back inside for a bagel and coffee.  Then off to Ding Darling
Birds of Wildlife Drive
 
 
 
 Magnificent frigate bird above the launch site.
On the water at 10:15
Into the "lake"
On to Pine Island Sound
Osprey
Juvenile yellow crowned night heron
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Paddling in the Wulfert Keys
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Into the inlet.  Saw manatee poop. If you're wondering, looks just like people poop.  So I kept my eyes open.  And soon saw three manatees.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Mangrove tunnels are good places to look for black crowned herons
 
 
 
 
I landed at 2:20.  Wanted to ride the bike, or maybe walk on the Shell Mound Trail, but I had not brought a sandwich.  A pear and a piece of beef jerky was not enough.
 
Unlike Monday, when there was still shrimp and taco fixin's, Tuesday's oyster luncheon was long gone.  No problem, I knew where I could find salami and cheese for a sandwich.  The condo my Mom was in.  A nice long visit, and before I knew it, I had to go.  Arlo and Ashley had a 7:15 flight to Key West, so I dropped them off at the airport.  A delay before we left.  I could not find my cell phone.  I made 4 calls on it Saturday, more than I made in 4 months.  As the last call was to Elena, I had her call the condo. No ring.  My car as I stood by, no ring.  This week I called the Wildlife Refuge and Tarpon Bay Explorers asking if either had a tracphone in the lost and found.  Nope.
Then, tonight, while looking for gloves in the car, it is going to be 35 degrees in Gulf Hammock tomorrow morning,  I saw something on the driveway.  The phone.  The ringer had not been turned on.  Hasn't been on since at least Thanksgiving when brother Andy called me in Key West and I did not hear anything.  Set it to ring now. I think.  A good day for finding things.  Found my new bike odometer this morning when I shook the comforter and it popped out.
 
Friday night, and it is good the Sanibel Tales are complete.  Off to Cedar Key tomorrow.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Joanne said...

That opening shot is stunning.

Dave said...

Thanks. Would be even better without the spot on the lens