Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, December 17, 2012

Sanibel, Day Three

Good morning. Back from a great beach walk. Magnificent frigate birds, osprey, brown pelicans, snowy egrets, great egrets, mergansers, Lighthouse, and more.  None are on my memory card.  Took a test photo to make sure it is working.
No clue what happened. Time to finish the coffee, post a pic or two on Saturday's Tale, and kayak.

Bald eagle overhead, sting rays, white pelicans, roseate spoonbill tri colored heron black crowned night heron. Highlights of my Tarpon Bay, Commodore Creek paddle.  Memory card failed again.

Failed again during a bike ride with Matt and Jack to the Cemetery.

Worked on  a later afternoon beach walk, and at dinner.
\
Aaron, with Olivia and Phineas, told me I needed to format my memory card I did, and it worked on this morning's Tuesday's, beach walk.  It is now Wednesday, and here are a couple more sunrise from the balcony photos.
 
I had been at Sanibel two days and had not taken a walk on the beach. I had earlier walked to it, but did not move far from the access trail.  Monday, I walked to, and out on the fishing pier.  Which is not to far from the last buildings before Lighthouse Point. As mentioned above, there were a lot of birds.  I took many photos. None survived.
 
After breakfast. I decided to pay the exorbitant $7 fee to launch at Tarpon Bay.  I usually visit Tarpon Bay via the Causeway, but that is a long paddle, there was a moderate chop forecast, and I did not want to work that hard.  Not only is the fee the highest I pay anywhere, but they charge tax on top of it.  And demand a credit card or driver's license.  But, I'm not using a rental. We are responsible for you. What nonsense. I had to give a cell phone number and an emergency contact number.  I don't know my cell number, which I rarely use, and was lost this weekend, and said my Mom was at Sanibel. So, I gave my home and work numbers.
 
Launched, debated whether to paddle the Commodore Creek Trail first, or after a Bay tour.  Seeing no one enter the trail after a double kayak I saw as I launched, I decided the time for the trail was now.
Out going tide made it a hard paddle.  Got what looked like a good photo of baby raccoons in a tree.  A single roseate spoonbill.
 Before I continue the narrative, a few pics from an afternoon beach walk 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Back to the morning paddle.  Commodore Creek is a loop trail, with easily spotted markers. A good spot for novices.  I saw a couple in a double kayak, perhaps the ones I saw earlier, commng the other way and a small group as I exited the trail It is a good place to see wildlife. But as I write 4 days later, it is hard to recall what I saw without photos to remind me.  In addition to the spoonbill and raccoons, I think I saw ibis, anhingas and osprey.  As I left the trail, I thought, I usually see yellow crowned night herons here. And, one was on my right, and a great blue heron to my left. 
 
I paddled into Tarpon Bay, to the chain of mangrove islands about 2/3 of the way across.  White pelicans sat on oyster bars, brown pelicans and cormorants in the mangroves.  I recall a great blue heron, but not great or snowy egrets.  Or so I remember.  I hoped to spot dolphins or manatees, but did not see any.  It was a bit windy, so I was glad I was not out in Pine Island Sound. Padded back across the Bay, then along the shore.   Found a little creek that went under the road to the Tarpon Bay launch site.  Two narrow culverts.  I maybe could have fit through, but the way back, against the current, would have been tough.  So, back to the Bay, and to the launch site.  Landed, put the kayak on the car, and had to wait to get my license back behind a line of people signing in for a boat tour.
 
I returned to the Shell Island Beach Club where some of Chris A.'s shrimp tacos remained on the poolside grill. I fixed one, also had the sandwich I had packed for the paddle.   And as there was shrimp left, had another taco.
 
Time for a bike ride.  I asked my nephew, Jack, and his Sanibel pal, Matt, if they wanted to join me.  They did.  We rode to the small pioneer cemetery.  Jack had never seen it.  Neither of the boys had visited the little dock on East Gulf Drive on the Sanibel River.  At the cemetery we got off the bikes and walked the short trail.  Looking for alligators in the water holes.  Did not see any.   Saw several osprey during the ride. 
 
On the ride back,  we stopped at the beach access where Middle Gulf and East Gulf Drives meet. Stopped again at the Donax Street access, and I said, 'Guys, how often do we get a chance to bike on the beach?  Let's go!"   For me, the highlight was  large band of black skimmers on the beach.
 
And, seeing Evan and Phin at the end of the ride.  My nephew, co-owner of the WeCycle Bike shop in Key West said he thought bikes were not allowed on the beach.  I said that probably only applied to rental and condo bikes. I told Jack and Matt to make sure they rinsed the condo bikes off.  I still am not sure if bikes are allowed.  A local shop, Billy's, provides racks at beach access points. Signs on all of them state; No Beach Riding.  But, that could be just to protect their rentals.  A web search found a FAQ that states it is against the law.  With no reference to any code, statute, or ordinance.
I do not see any reference to beach riding in the Sanibel http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10937
 The link does not take you to the code section on bikes, put "bicycle" in the search box and you will find it.  If you do ride, give walkers, shellers, and birds plenty of room.  And use fresh water to clean off the salt and sand.  I thought I did a good job under the boardwalk shower, but still had sand on the tires an rims a couple days later.
 
Back to pictures from the post ride beach walk.

 
 
 
Why the pictures now came back, I have no idea.  But I will take them.
 
 
 
Sez who?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I thought of nephew Tyler, when I saw this.  He did not make it this year.  Missed you.
 
 
Boardwalk flowers
I jumped in the pool, then went to 16D to change and shower.  Back to the grill area for cocktails and appetizers.
 
Substantial appetizers
 
Most prepared by the lovely and talented Megan
 
Jeff B. made his famous salad.  For which he takes linguine, breaks it into little pieces, deep fries it, and sprinkles it on top of the greens.
 
 A beautiful night, we were able to eat outside for the second consecutive night.  Good for Mom, who did not to climb steps with her bionic hips and knees.  Although she was prepared to do so.
 
Shell Island Beach Club has 16 buildings, 4 units in each.  That's 64. 7 were at the party, Pat invited his immediate neighbors, so 8 of the 64 units were there.  Plus visiting friends.  At least 30 people.  Folks in anther unit came down to cook their dinner, we made room, offered drinks and food.  They enjoyed it.  As did I.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: