Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sanibel Day Two

Juvenile bald eagle, Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge.  Back to the start of the day.
Sunrise, 7:18
I had toast and an egg, than headed to 1B to make a sandwich.  And take a few more balcony photos.
 
In the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge, just after 9 am
 
 
 
Male hooded merganser
 
 
 
It is called Wildlife Drive for a reason.  I was on the water at 9:55.
 
 
 
Tidal flow through one of the gaps in Wildlife Drive
I let it push me into the "lakes"
 
 
 
Through a pass, into Pine Island Sound.
 
Spoonbill
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Snowy egrets and ibis
 
 
 
I was now in the narrow inlet where I saw a manatee, Saturday.  The inlet splits into two branches.
 
Driving, or biking out of the Refuge, this bridge is on your right.
 
 
 
 
Osprey
 
 
Strutting snowy
Cormorant
Bald eagle
 
Osprey
 
To protect fragile seagrass. I saw tailing redfish in the flats.  Later, when I landed, an angler said he had never seen so many.

Helps explain all the osprey. AKA, "fishhawk"

Young eagle
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Spanish mackerel?
 
 
Landed at 2:20. Talk around the pool Saturday was about catching the Packer game at Doc Ford's.  I stopped in. No familiar faces.  Not even Tomlinson.  Checked the parking lot at Timbers.  Did not see brother Pat's rental van.  Should have gone to the Lazy Flamingo.  Instead, back to the pool.  Updated by Karen B's cell phone.
 
Olivia and Derek
 
Mom
Derek and Megan
 
This is how dinner looked on December 10. Photo by Evan. Who caught the blackfin tuna with brother Arlo and friends Jack and Chris.  Quickly frozen to take some to Sanibel
 
 
On the grill with vegetables from the Sanibel farmers market. Plenty food for over 20 people. The best fish I have ever had.  My nephews said they brought about one eighth of the day's catch. 
 
Phineas, Evan, Aaron, and Olivia
 


 
 
How do you top off a perfect day?
 
Jack, age 11, said this was the first time he won at solitaire.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To be continued


 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: