Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Kayak, Little Sarasota Bay. Bike, Myakka River State Park

There is so much to do at Myakka River State Park, it is hard to do even a small part of it in one day.  Although I try.  That's why I decided to spend the night in Sarasota.  I had not been east of I-75 since April, 2005.  When I did my first weekend kayaking adventure.  Friday at Fort De Soto.  My friend, Dan B. was in Sarasota on hurricane recovery duty. Stayed at his place Friday night.  I went to Sanibel that Saturday, to scout the damage there, then Dan and I paddled the Myakka on Sunday.
Pre fat Dave and Dan atop the Canopy Walkway.
Back to the present.  I forgot to take my usual lodging photos.  Standard room at the Best Western, Siesta Key Gateway.  Nice big TV, fridge, not full size, but bigger than a lot of hotels, and a microwave.  I had lasagna for dinner Saturday.   Breakfast included in the room.  I had one French toast, 2 sausage pattys,  one biscuit covered with gravy.  OJ and coffee.  And the internet worked.  I took two pieces of bread, two chocolate mini donuts, a banana and tangerine for later. Made a sandwich with the bread, Merkt's Port Wine  spreadable cheese and venison summer sausage.  The latter a Christmas present from brother Pete.  I checked out, told the desk clerk about the bad internet in the room.  "We will have to tweak it"
I wanted to visit the Point of Rocks, but there in no on street parking nearby.  So, I continued to Turtle Beach.
 Underway at 10:06.  Picnic shelter, above could be and alternate launch site.   Ramp is below.  Two concrete ramps, a dirt area for paddle launching in between


South bound in a narrow inlet


 A residential inlet.  I have never seen kayaks on a boat lift before.  The rich are different.




Into Little Sarasota Bay




I saw a dolphin in the channel.  The Bay is very shallow.  Perfect for wading birds








I began to circle a group of mangrove islands.  The Jim Neville Marine Preserve.  Bird Island, on older maps.












This beach is at the end of long lagoon between the Marine Preserve and a narrow strip of land on the Gulf.  Looked like a good place to stop



I was at Palmer Point Beach.  It is the former location of Midnight Pass, dividing Siesta Key from Casey Key.  The islands have been one since 1984.  The channel was filled by human action, not nature.  Although nature had shifted the Pass over the years.  Put Midnight Pass in your browser if you want to learn more.



A popular spot for boaters of all types



This gazebo is at the entrance to the channel that ends at Turtle Beach Park





Landed at 12:40.  Put the yak on the car, and checked out the beach.




I left Turtle Beach at 1.   I had to make a visit to Siesta Beach.  Signs on bus stops tout it as "America's Number 1 Beach"  It was ranked so in 2011 by Dr. Stephen Leatherman, akaDr, Beach 

Unseasonably warm weather had the large main parking lot full.  There are smaller lots, further south.  I found a spot in a lot that holds about 10 cars.  Parking is free.


  A fairly long walk to the beach




It is nice.  But, I like shade, so I headed back  to Myakka River State Park.
 Parked the car in the same spot I did Saturday, and got on the bike.





 Pig




I stopped at the Birdwalk.  A long boardwalk over the marsh at the edge of Upper Myakka Lake
 I saw all of these birds from my kayak on Saturday.
Except, maybe, green winged teal







Back on the bike
 Clay Gully








To the dam


Or, weir. With dam dumb people



Water flowing over the edge of the dam


Time to eat
Seafood gumbo.  It's better than the gator stew
 Views from the table, shared with a nice family from Naples


Back on the bike

Barred owl


These deer were on the other side of the road from the group I saw earlier.

To the canopy walkway



I've always wanted to see a bald eagle flying below me from the top of the tower.  I still haven't.  But I saw one about a third of the way up





 Back on the ground

Car loaded, time to leave

Another great Florida weekend.

No comments: