Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Blackwater Creek and Wekiva River

As I will be spending a lot of time on spring fed, forested waterways beginning Friday, I wanted to do a salt water paddle today.  But, choppy on the Intracoastal Waterway to the east, and  a moderate chop on bay and near shore waters to the west.   So, I again took advantage of my Seminole State Forest permit.

Did a car-bike shuttle.  Above pics are biking from Katie's Landing, where I left the car.

Into the State Forest.
Unlike Saturday, no cars at the launch site. Just my kayak.
 Underway at 10:20


For the third straight paddle going back to Thursday, t shirt and swim suit weather
















 There were several alligator families. The adults stay out of sight for the most part.  Brief appearances
I drifted along, took two hours to reach the break spot.  I took a break.



Finally, a big gator.  One of two.  A pair I've seen  for a few years





 Entering the Wekiva River, 1:12.  I saw no one on Blackwater Creek.  Just the way I like it



Paddled up stream on the Wekiva.  It is low, clear, and swift.

A kid on a pontoon boat asked if I saw anything.  "Lot's of things.




The last 6 pics were taken within 10 minutes of the kid's question.  He must have been looking on the wrong side of the boat.

 Two more motorboats, one stopped, fishing.  And a pair of paddle boarders.   Rudders intact.
Find the gators





Not much going on across from Katie's Landing.  Just this great egret and these ibis

Landed just before 3.
 Back to the Seminole State Forest to get my bike
Which took longer than expected.   I had in my head that the combination was 3642. It was not.  I tried different numbers.  None worked.  A family was fishing.  Mom said,  "Let Robert try. He's good with locks".  He tried, no success.  I cut away the rubber coating with a knife.  Dad, Cameron,had a wire cutter and was able to snip away and cut it in half.  They refused the 5 spot I offered for more worms.  "We're catching minnows for bait"   On the way out, it dawned on me.  3646.  Thought of going back to tell them. Then realized I forgot the knife.  So, I returned to the launch.   Where Robert had knife in hand as he saw me coming.

I may not do the usual midweek paddle this upcoming week. Probably should renew my drivers license.  Speaking of things I forgot. I have to into the DMV.  Maybe I won't have to wait long.   More likely, I will post a pic or to from one of the public libraries in the vicinity of the Sweetwater Cabin

Springs Break Yakapalooza starts Friday.  Can't wait!

No comments: