Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Hillsborough River and Marquette-USF

My day started off with seeing a bald eagle on the way to work,  and ended with the Marquette Golden Eagles blowing out the South Florida Bulls, in Tampa.  At the Sun Dome, just 5 miles from Trout Creek Park.

Underway at 2:52. Three boats, a canoe, a kayak, and a jon boat with a trolling motor landed as I was headed out.  They were the only ones I saw as I paddled up River to Morris Bridge.






































When paddling, if I have not seen any wildlife for a while, I will start counting.  Until I see something. No need to do that the first 30 minutes of this trip.  Something was always in view from the launch to where the River narrows upstream of Nature's Classroom.







I saw a deer on the right bank.  Ran into the cypress trees before I could get a picture





Morris Bridge, 4:28. Took the pic of the immature blue heron below, and turned around



Saw two more deer, one on the right bank, one on the left.  Again, no photos.






Finally,  deer photo.  One of three. Six on the afternoon,















Landed at 6:11.  Nice thing about Trout Creek and the other Parks on the Hillsborough.  They give you plenty of time to leave after sunset.  This time of year, the Park closes at 7.  Which was also the tip-off time for the Marquette game.
The Sundome on the USF campus is just 5 miles away.  Had I known the right road to take off  Fowler Ave, into the lot, I might have made it in time for the tip.

Parking is $10.  I bought a $20 ticket for $15.00.   Watched the beginning of the game on TV at a concession to get my $7 beer and $6.50 pulled pork sandwich

5th row, behind the hoop.
The Warriors dominated the game. I think they were already up 8-10 points when I got to my seat.  It got more lopsided from there.


boxscore

A cozy gathering of 5000.  A couple hundred MU fans.  This is the 5th time I've seen Marquette at USF.  May be the last, due to the implosion of the Big East.    Maybe the new CYO league will let a Baptist school join.  Then, I can see Marquette play at Stetson.
Game video

Game video

End of game      And, this Tale

6 comments:

Brenda M said...

AWESOME opening pic, as well as the gator on the tree trunk! Super job!

Octohawk said...

I agree, AWESOME opening pic!

Dave said...

Thank you, both.

Luis said...

It is a very special pic indeed. Nice selection.

Joanne said...

Agree---gorgeous opening picture.

Dave said...

Sometimes, the planets just align. The more I look at the pic, the better I like it.