Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sweetwater Cabin, Salt Springs Run



A chilly start to Day Three of my Sweetwater Cabin vacation.  30 degrees in Ocala at 7 am, according to my weather radio.  My bike computer said 51.  Taking off the cold floor and putting in on the dresser raised it to 53.  The cabin is heated but the doors have large gaps. Here is a  cabin gallery






  The fireplace is not usable.  Too old, per a notice on the cabin door.




Walked down to the Spring. Steam rising, gator resting. Today, it immediately dove into the vent.

It did get below freezing here.  Damp towels left outside were stiff.  As was a floor mat that I had tried to shake out and hung on a rail.  I know it is hard to keep an eighty year old cabin that has constant use clean, but I think sweeping the leaves from the doorway and shaking out the mat are simple, but noticeable services.  And wiping the spider web off a lamp.  I just did.  These observations are from a slob.   Of course, if the cabin were thoroughly cleaned, I would not have been able to get in at 12:30 on Friday,

Took a walk to Highway 19. Half mile.  Walked on 19 towards Juniper Wayside to verify if what I saw in a tree was a large bird or clump of leaves.  Leaves.
 Saw a deer tail flash here, off the power line right of way
Turkeys near the cabin when I got back,  no photos.
Another look at my alligator


This time, it stayed on the surface.
I left for Salt Springs Run.  Saw a raccoon family on the cabin road. Mama was huge. My first thought, bear!
I stopped in the shopping area near the Salt Springs Visitor Center.  To try to get on the www. Not able.  Went into the sporting goods/bait shop to see if they had flip up shades or old man over glasses sunglasses.  My flip ups are probably at the Rodman Dam by now.  Down the Ocklawaha from where I capsized . No, try the grocery store.  Who said, try the bait shop.

 I put in at the Salt Springs Marina at 11:35.  As I paid the $5 fee, I said I had never noticed kayaks inside the small building before.  4 on the floor.  “Those are rentals, I brought them in, nobody will be going out today”


Call me Mr. Nobody. Heck, I love cool and windy days. Keeps people off the water.  My assumption about manatees being near the springs proved correct.




My assumption that Sunday would be less windy than Saturday was not.



It was at my back as I paddled down the broad Run.






I was treated to many osprey diving, successfully, for fish.
 And, an otter.

And, a young bald eagle.  No photo.





I planned on a short paddle.  To the observation platform at the end of the Salt Springs Trail, and back.  I had not seen the platform, but decided to turn back anyway.

It was 12:49 when I began to paddle into the wind and current


I had gone past the Observation Platform



The cormorant on the sign
Wanted no part of this one
Joining it.  Angrily sqwaking when it tried to land beside it on the sign.
Salt Springs


There were about 10 manatees, maybe more



I was able to get some shots holding the camera over the side.




Landed at 5 past 2. Went to the Salt Springs Trail.   South on 19 from the Salt Springs Marina. Which is south of the Salt Springs Recreation Area.



A pleasant, shady, 2 mile walk


To the Observation Platform I saw from the water earlier


Back to the cabin.  Where two deer walked across the yard as I entered the screen porch
I walked down to the deck over the Spring.  Unwrapped a granola bar, and saw I was not alone


I had read about the fish stealing hawk in the cabin log

I did not see Bob.  That is the name I have given the resident alligator. I call the hawk, Harry. Later in the week, I saw in the cabin log that somebody else used those names. Perhaps I also read that entry before I named them.  But that  person was more familiar with Bob.  Called him, "Bobby".   Hopefully, as it warms up this week, he will leave.


Back on the deck, I heard the clank clank of paddle on metal canoes. And Bob hurried back to the Spring



When I snorkeled Friday, I wondered if one of the vents has a tunnel from one opening to another. So did Bob.  He went it, then turned around
Bob can hold his breath for about one beer
Bob takes a breather
I rode my bike on the cabin road to the Highway to wait for Monica. My sister.



She arrived later

But while there was still a little light left.

No comments: