Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, February 22, 2013

Sweetwater Springs to Cedar Key

Friday, Feb, 22. 2013.  Had to be out of the cabin at 9.

The deer must have known.  The trio I saw the last two mornings were 15 minutes early


Said goodbye to Bob





Made an entry in the cabin log on the deck.  8:50.  The cleaning crew arrived just after 9

 One last look down the road for a bear. Never saw one. Had to settle for deer, alligators, manatees, monkeys, otters, and bald eagles.   Just to mention the megafauna.
Locked the gate behind us. 9:11. I was not ready to return to civilization.  Cedar Key was 100 miles away. I would drive to Ocala, call Park Place, see if a room was available.  If not, I would think of a plan B.  Stopped to get gas at US 27 and I 75.  Made the call. A room was available.
At 11:17, I was on the Number 4 Bridge, the first bridge into Cedar Key

Not only was a room available, it was ready. View from  the balcony at 11:50


 The interior
On the water at 1:20


A bit wavy on the Gulf. So much so, I did not take a picture of Dock St. Headed the other direction to the protection of the Number 2 Channel



Lesser scaup. I would see many more.











Under the current Number 2 Bridge, looking at the old.



Feeding frenzy

Overlook at Cemetery Point Park.  Fancy camera, long zoom.

I use the yak zoom to see the oyster catchers
 The ultimate kayak vacation would be a week at the Sweetwater Cabin, followed by a week here.
Number 3 Bridge

Black skimmers


 Distant white pelicans.  I turned around.  Too tired to paddle that far for some reason




Not sure what these are.













 Still choppy on the Gulf as I headed home

Landed at 3:45.  Relaxed in the room, downloaded photos from earlier in the week, fixed dinner.  The tough steak was better chopped into small pieces and mixed with pasta.  Did that with 2/3 of the steak, put the rest  in chili for Saturday.
Back outside for a cloudy sunset from the Big Dock








Final view, from my balcony


No comments: