Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lakes Osceola, Mizell, and Virginia

A short, breezy paddle after my thrice a year haircut.  Gotta go to work, now.

 WINDS... 20 TO 25 MPH... GUSTING OVER 30 MPH THROUGH SUNSET.
* IMPACTS... BOATING CONDITIONS WILL BE HAZARDOUS ON INLAND LAKES AS WELL AS THE INTRACOASTAL WATERWAY THROUGH SUNSET.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A LAKE WIND ADVISORY INDICATES THAT WINDS WILL CAUSE ROUGH CHOP ON AREA LAKES. SMALL BOATS WILL BE ESPECIALLY PRONE TO CAPSIZING.

Back from work.  I did not capsize.  But, without as much hair, I have a smaller cap size.   Because of the wind, and coming back from the barber shop, I launched from Dinky Dock in Winter Park, not the usual Fort Maitland in Maitland.  Thinking that the smallish Lake Mizell, and Fern Canal linking Lake Virginia to Lake Osceola would be less choppy.

 Dinky Dock Park is on Lake Virginia, next to Rollins College.  "Dinky" refers to a old Railroad
I set out at 9:50
 A short paddle to Lake Mizell







I think Lake Mizell is the smallest Lake in the Chain, discounting Lake Nina. Which is more of a bulge in the canal linking Lake Maitland and Lake Minnehaha.   But so far, I can't find anything that gives the size of the individual Lakes.

Peacocks wee heard, but not seen.

Lake Mizell is the least populated of the Chain.  Most of the east shoreline was owned by one family until about 20 years ago.  It has since been sold and subdivided, but a good chunk of shore is still  building free



The Fern Canal

A peak at Lake Osceola before turning back







Concrete ramps on either side of the dock
I launched and landed at the beach. But, not yet.

Swimming pier



 Only other boat I saw. Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour.
Landed just after 11
It has been 51 weeks since I have been to the Ichenetucknee and Santa Fe Rivers.  So, last night I made a reservation for Saturday night at the Cadillac Motel in High Springs.  I will greet you from there, this weekend.

No comments: